Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: KJV Readership Dominates Other Versions
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:20 pm 

The Most Popular and Fastest Growing
Bible Translation Isn't What You Think It Is

NIV vs. KJV: Surveys and searches suggest the translation that most Americans are reading is actually not the bookstore bestseller...

http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleani ... paging=off

Access the 44 pg. study here in PDF format:
Center for the Study of Religion and American Culture Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis;
March 6, 2014
SEE PAGE 12; WHICH VERSION OF THE BIBLE?

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/691c/0 ... 83cb6c.pdf

Attachments:
KJV-vs.-Others.jpg
KJV-vs.-Others.jpg [ 43.98 KiB | Viewed 251 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: KJV Readership Dominates Other Versions
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:10 pm 

NIV

2nd Smauel

19 In another battle with the Philistines at Gob, Elhanan son of Jaare-Oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath the Gittite, who had a spear with a shaft like a weaver's rod.

The New International Version (NIV) is a completely original translation of the Bible developed by more than one hundred scholars

KJV

19 And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines, where Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim, a Bethlehemite, slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

In all 54 scholars and churchmen translated the KJB.

After reading the above verses I'm glad to hear the KJV on top

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:33 pm 

Bro. Parrish wrote:
NIV vs. KJV: Surveys and searches suggest the translation that most Americans are reading is actually not the bookstore bestseller...

http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleani ... paging=off

I ran across this back in April, and was thrilled and surprised to see it. Really, I think I was shocked to see it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:00 pm 

Glad to see NKJV near the bottom of the graph.
Also, the NIV sales are higher due to public continually buying the new improved versions, while the KJB is well used till pages fall out.

1Peter 1:18,19
redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:28 pm 

Don't forget the USA Today article: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/rel ... -bible.htm
Quote:
Although there are two dozen English-language Bibles in many contemporary translations, the King James Version reigns even more supreme among those who actually read their Bibles: 82% of those who read the Good Book at least once a month rely on the translation that first brought the Scripture to the English-speaking masses worldwide.
I don't think it's a big surprise; people who actually believe the Bible are more likely to read it. The only surprise is mainstream publications acknowledging that fact. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:11 pm 

It's nice to hear some good news once in a while. That's great, I hope the trend continues until the only color on that chart is dark blue. :D

Bob

Acts 16:31, "Believe on the lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved, and thy house"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:10 pm 

Bob S. wrote:
It's nice to hear some good news once in a while. That's great, I hope the trend continues until the only color on that chart is dark blue. :D

Bob

Yea.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:07 pm 

GOOD NEWS indeed.
I turned on AFR radio yesterday only to hear how all of todays bible translations are good ones. But we are particularly fortunate in that we have so many available resources containing the original Greek and Hebrew words that we can refer to for the true meaning of God's Word.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:14 pm 

ezearl wrote:
GOOD NEWS indeed.
I turned on AFR radio yesterday only to hear how all of todays bible translations are good ones. But we are particularly fortunate in that we have so many available resources containing the original Greek and Hebrew words that we can refer to for the true meaning of God's Word.

Speaking of the original Greek, I've heard that there is more than one Greek text. The original Greek Textus Receptus that the KJV is based on and then I heard that Westcott and Hort invented a Greek text based on the minority Vaticanus and Sinaiticus texts. So when someone says "original Greek" how do we know what they're talking about? Is there another English Bible today besides the KJV that's based on the Greek TR? I think they call it Koine Greek?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:04 pm 

Ralph Joseph wrote:
KJB believer wrote:
Speaking of the original Greek, I've heard that there is more than one Greek text. The original Greek Textus Receptus that the KJV is based on and then I heard that Westcott and Hort invented a Greek text based on the minority Vaticanus and Sinaiticus texts. So when someone says "original Greek" how do we know what they're talking about? Is there another English Bible today besides the KJV that's based on the Greek TR? I think they call it Koine Greek?
I am nowhere close to being an expert in KJV history, but you have heard correctly. There are two lines of text: One from Antioch (TR) and the other from Alexandria (Majority Text).
There is an entire section here dedicated to this topic, but here are a few links to a few decent resources.

1. "New World Order Bible Versions" Documentary by Steven Anderson. Although Mr. Anderson teaches many false doctrines and should be avoided, I think he did a very good job at dealing with the authority of the KJV in this documentary.
  2. "Two Lines of Biblical Manuscripts" chart. I just found this chart that lays out the two lines. Perhaps other members could look at it also and give their opinions on its accuracy.
Your questions are wonderful questions that shoot straight to the heart of much of what this forum is about; knowing with absolute certainty that God has preserved His words perfectly within the King James Bible. Once that is established, then we, as Christians, may confidently study His Word in order to know how we are to live our lives and how to glorify Him.

Thanks. Unfortunately some deny that God has preserved or even promised to preserve His word for us. But I just don't believe that, it doesn't even make logical sense.

By the way, I'm assuming that the KJV has been translated into other languages or they have Scriptures based on the TR. Everyone doesn't speak English and I'm sure God wants all languages to have His word.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next