Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: States adding "Bible literacy" classes to public schools
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:03 pm 

Interesting! :geek: :geek: :geek:

Bill would add 'Bible literacy' class to Iowa public schools

Jan 18, 2018 - "A bill introduced at the Iowa Statehouse this week would establish a public school course centered on the Bible — sparking outcry from opponents who call it an "extreme piece of legislation."

If passed, Iowa would join a small but growing number of states with "Bible literacy" laws that allow or require public schools to offer such courses."

"Laws creating Bible study courses have passed in Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas. In addition, West Virginia lawmakers recently proposed Bible literacy be offered as an elective in all public and private schools. Implementation has proven contentious. In Kentucky, for example, the ACLU is contesting courses created after a Bible literacy law passed last year."

"Today, we are raising generations of children ignorant of the origin of core American values that should unite us, such as the historically radical, but biblically inspired ideal that all people have inherent worth and equality and are 'endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights,'" Zahn said.

He added: "These foundational and historical American values did not spring from the cornucopia of 'world religions,' but specifically from the Judeo-Christian scriptures."

Iowa's proposal would not require students to use a specific translation of the Bible. It would allow them to use a translation other than the one chosen by the teacher, school district or state. Schools would not be required to offer the course, but the state would be required to provide material and training to schools that chose to include it.

Under current law, religious texts may not be excluded from any public school. The law also prevents schools from requiring the reading of religious texts that parents don't want them to read."

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 044057001/

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: States adding "Bible literacy" classes to public schools
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:18 am 

Im really curious as to what the state provided curriculum would be like and what kind of doctrine would be rooted in it. I suspect it would be a mess unfortunately. I wonder how it would mesh with the big bang and the evolution that is in their history books?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: States adding "Bible literacy" classes to public schools
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:04 am 

Bro Jones wrote:
Im really curious as to what the state provided curriculum would be like and what kind of doctrine would be rooted in it. I suspect it would be a mess unfortunately. I wonder how it would mesh with the big bang and the evolution that is in their history books?
I'm afraid you're correct. I think that whatever the material, it's going to depend on each individual teacher. I don't see how a nonbelieving secular teacher is going to adequately handle a subject dealing with the Creator. Or even a modern Christian who has as much faith in the "science" of the day as in the Bible. An atheist, or even a humanist or such, teaching it would unlikely be able to hide his contempt. An agnostic may be fairer, but still not the best person to teach kids about God. Plus, what teacher likes to admit they're not sure about something? They want to act like omniscient authorities in the classroom. It would probably be considered discriminatory to require Christians to teach it, or even someone who believes God only created two sexes of humans (although it seems to me that science agrees). Even with a Christian teacher, they'll most likely place limits on what they can say.

So I don't know. I like to think it's a step forward to bring the Bible into the classroom. I think education started to fail more and more when they took the Bible out of the classroom when it used to be a staple of education. If the KJV was still a part of education we wouldn't have people claiming that they can't understand anything but decaying modern English slang, just to name one thing, not to mention the spiritual and moral benefits. Unfortunately, it sounds like what's being proposed is an "any version goes" type of thing. Maybe an NIV in the classroom is better than nothing, but a multiplicity of Bible versions will probably just help convince secular students that what the Bible says isn't settled, but continually evolving itself. I doubt there will be many KJVs there as they're not scholarly, or "cool", or whatever the word of the day is.

Maybe it's a start, but I'm not ready to declare victory, let my guard down, and turn the preaching of the Gospel over to public schools.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]