Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Bible Museum -- Now Open in Washington, D.C.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:20 pm 

Just opened a few weeks ago -- has anyone been to this yet?

I wouldn't mind checking it out -->

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... ook-books/

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bible Museum -- Now Open in Washington, D.C.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:02 pm 

While I have not been to the MOTB in D.C., there was a travelling display in my home town of Santa Clarita, CA for 13 month in a building that would house a new Hobby Lobby (owned by the Green family), called Passages.

The area was about 30,000 square feet and was impressive. I purchased a season pass for little money and enjoyed several trips while it was open. I am sure that the scale does not compare to the grandeur of the MOTB.

The museum was really, just that. Various displays of the Dead Sea Scroll fragments (mostly facsimiles), the Gutenberg printing press, various Bibles through history, a section on controversies, and the Night of Broken Glass, there was some obvious omissions.

Nowhere really, in this was Christ. It was cold in that way. There was no stand on the King James Bible, although I did not expect to find that, the place seemed very permissive to a wide range of Biblical views. No Gospel.

Now I cannot truly judge the official museum, but I have read posts telling the same. one would just have to see it for what it is. History. A museum.

Now, having said this, I am quite sure God will use this place as a starting point for discussion and debate and opening of some eyes.

Just a note. The gift shop, as I remember, did not sell and Bibles, per se. There were publications of historical Bibles, Great Bible, Wycliff, etc. The Hobby Lobby does have some faith based books in it, but all authored by the contemporary authors you would find in a so called Christian bookstore.

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6 KJB)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:35 pm 

I wouldn't mind checking it out either, but I have no plans to ever go to DC again.
Brother Mike wrote:
Nowhere really, in this was Christ. It was cold in that way. There was no stand on the King James Bible, although I did not expect to find that, the place seemed very permissive to a wide range of Biblical views. No Gospel.
That's what I've been wondering about. I suspect that given the appeal they desire to have to Christendom today the museum in DC isn't going to make any strong stands on the KJB, or even the TR or Majority mss. I suspect Roman Catholics may even come out feeling good about their "contributions" to the preservation of the Bible, or whatever.

Having become more cynical recently, it seems like Christians today want entertainment and amusement. Christianity seems to be becoming bigger business, with camps, museums, amusement parks based on the ark, and gluts of contemporary Christian books and ministries and programs, even as its effects on society seem to be dwindling. Even if I did go to the museum, I doubt I would be willing to donate a whole lot for admission. So many real missions seem to be losing ground to the ones that are fun and entertaining.

Brother Mike wrote:
Now, having said this, I am quite sure God will use this place as a starting point for discussion and debate and opening of some eyes.
Yes, good point! God can use all things for His purpose. That's the good thing.

While I would love to see them, I'm sure there's a reason that God didn't save the "original autographs" for us (can you imagine how much fun "handwriting analysts" and other nuts would have with them? :) ) Noah's Ark, the Ark of Covenant, David's slingshot, or such things where we could access them in some museum.

So, I guess I question the time and money that is spent on such things when there are so many other missions and needs. But maybe I'm like the disciples who complained about the woman who used expensive ointment on Jesus (Matt 26:6-13)?

I do appreciate that the Hobby Lobby folks are investing their wealth in something like this, rather than whatever other worldly investments they could be making. So I don't mean to imply that they're completely corrupt or anything.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:42 pm 

Maybe another thing that vaguely bothers me; museums tend to be for ancient relics, things of past civilizations and curiosities that have little meaning to the modern world, dead things; not living things.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:29 pm 

A little trivia: a "Museum for the Bible" literally means "a Temple of the Muses for the Bible" (the Muses were said to be the nine goddesses who presided over song and the different kinds of poetry, and also the arts and sciences).

I'm not going to go overboard and say that the fact that the name "museum" has a pagan origin makes all museums and everything to do with them evil, or refuse to go to one any more than I would refuse to read an Atlas because of its name, like the internet guru who goes by Husky394xp might would do, but it is a kind of a strange contradiction of terms, or a fact you may find amusing (pun intended) or not. :?

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]