Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: For My Ex-Pastor
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:09 pm 

I contacted my former SDA pastor today. He called us a couple times already, so I returned his call and told him some of the problems I had with Adventism... I may not have been the best in defending my position, or perfect, but pray that God uses what I did present to him. I don't think he really had any response to whenever I told him EGW said it's basically evil / affects morals to eat meat, and maybe another point I made.

He told me it's absolutely by grace through faith, and other things. But pray God uses what I told him and my disfellowship is a witness to him, and his eyes be opened.

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." – Ephesians 6:11

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: For My Ex-Pastor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:52 am 

SDA can be very confusing hopefully your testimony will help him see the truth!

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: For My Ex-Pastor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:24 am 

I don't know that I did the best job... I think I may've been like unto Moses initially, being stuttery. God can use what I did tell him though, because there were some points I brought up about the Sabbath like Deut. 5:3, and Neh. 9:14-15. Of course he brought up Genesis 2:2-3. I think as I got more comfortable talking to him, it became a little more easier, but I still think I didn't do the best job.

He claimed that nothing he does can save him, and basic Baptist beliefs, but that he does those works out of appreciation of what Christ did for us. I brought up how Ellen White taught we have no assurance of salvation; on one breath, I believe he said he can have that assurance, but on the next breath he said that quote by Ellen White is true, and Pentecostals are prideful about it, as though only they are saved and nobody else is. He even tried to claim that Ellen White wasn't a prophet, but merely a "messenger" as she wrote of herself. Before the end of our conversation, I brought up how one of the SDA Fundamental Beliefs #17 (it must've been an old Declaration of Faith, but still), Ellen White is a continuing, authoritative source of truth. I brought up the Bible is all we need to know about God, and he agreed that Ellen White was not essential, but he said something along the lines of, she helps with hard-to-understand passages.

Nevertheless, by God's grace His eyes will be opened. I brought up how Ellen White made false prophecy about the Civil War and he tried to justify it saying that it was nothing to do with events of the Bible (so in other words, that false prophecy doesn't count; he claimed he didn't know about that one), but events of man. I told him how she wrote it's a sin to be sick, and how she said it's an evil example or immoral to eat meat. He tried to say, sickness can be a sin, like if you smoke. I said something like, it doesn't say that though: it she simply said it's a sin to be sick, period. Hopefully these points, he will either research (rather than sweeping them under the rug; as I've done in the past), or realize he is unable to defend them and investigate other key points.

On a side note: Something else I realized... the man isn't even QUALIFIED to be a pastor!! Titus 1 says you must be a man of one wife, and having "faithful children." The man doesn't even have children that I'm aware of! He's also on His second wife (not polygamist, but his first one died I guess).

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." – Ephesians 6:11

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]