Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 2 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: .
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:09 am 

Matthew 10:14

Last edited by Ralph Joseph on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Prayers for guidance
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:01 am 

Ralph Joseph wrote:
Do you think that some people feel His presence and some people don't, ...

What do they 'feel' is the Holy Spirit bearing witness with their spirit:

Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Quote:
... or do you think that the people who think they feel His presence are confusing emotions with God's presence?

They may be confusing fruit of the Spirit with personal emotional; however, having said that, the fruit comes first then the emotion, not the other way around.

1Peter 1:18,19
redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:39 am 

Ralph Joseph wrote:
Brothers,

Please forgive me if I come across as intentionally confrontational at times. It is not my intention to cause division for its own sake. I struggle with anger and judgement. When I think I have overcome certain temptations or sins, I am quick to condemn others for remaining in the same place that I was just in.

I also struggle with jealousy of others who have felt a change in their spirit, since they came to Christ. My faith is almost completely intellectual. I believe God's Word because I have been convinced of it and I trust Him, but I have never felt His presence.

Years ago, when I was baptized through my old church, I remember feeling incredibly disappointed when I came out of the water, because I felt absolutely nothing, yet I believe in Him completely. I keep waiting to feel Him, but I never do. Sometimes my frustration with that manifests itself in different ways, and one of them can be that I come across as a bit of a turd.

Would you pray for me, brothers? Pray that God gives me guidance in how to deal with this.

Brother Joseph,
I don't see anything less than human emotions, human compassion, and a spirit of humility in this post.
After I was born again I was baptized in the Jamesfork creek here in our county. It was the Church my wife grew up in, where my wife and I were married, and where we attended/members for the first several years before I started preaching. But the setting was perfect! It was a very nice size creek, but no river. There were probably 50-75 members and family standing on the banks. There were a few acoustic guitars and we all sang "We Shall Gather At The River", then had prayer and there were several of us baptized that day. I like you was expecting some major feeling. I was hoping I would come up out of the water shouting. I didn't shout, and didn't have some "enlightening" experience coming out of the water.
But looking back on that beautiful day, I now clearly see that I was humbly being obedient to the Word of God, and Christ was PRESENT that day whether I "felt it" or not!

The "struggles" you shared are normal CHRISTIAN struggles because we ALL struggle with different issues. There is only One that struggled, yet never failed. Christ is the ONLY One that had complete victory over the flesh. I might add that I am thankful our Captain defeated the flesh.
But even the Apostle Paul had "struggles". I'm not saying Paul faltered to the extent some of us do, but even he had struggles.
As far as your faith be almost completely intellect, did you know that by nature we are all different? I am a very passionate person by nature, so I may feel and show more emotions than others, but that is not necessarily a blessing. Some times it creates struggles!
I am going to confess a little here: I've made a few mistakes (usually financial) where I THOUGHT I "felt" the Lord leading me to make a certain decision. Looking back, it may have been a good "warm fuzzy" that I was following and not the Lord! Thankfully, the older I get the better I get in KNOWING which is the Lord, and which is Chuck, LOL.
But I love ya Man and just following your posts here on the forums have been a true blessing to me.
I will end this post with some advice for both you and ME: Don't be so hard on yourself!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:33 am 

Last edited by Ralph Joseph on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:04 pm 

I know I'm a newbie Brother Joseph, but I just want to encourage you in the Lord who you believe. Jesus says If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. (John 8:31,32). It doesn't say the truth will be made manifest by a warm and fuzzy feeling. It says you'll know the truth and that knowledge will make you free. Part of that freedom, I believe is the freedom from being deceived or taken in by what a segment of the Christian community says your suppose to "feel" as evidence of your salvation. Jesus says, repent ye and believe the gospel. That simple.
Your faith is strong my brother, don't let that old serpent whisper that you need anything other than Christ crucified.
I'll be praying for ya.

2 Samuel 22:29

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:32 pm 

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 2 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2