Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Did the Author get His Own "Message"?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:42 am 

I found that in his interpretation of Matthew 7:6 (Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.) that Eugene Peterson explains why he should never have written "the message":

"Mat 7:6 "Don't be flip with the sacred. Banter and silliness give no honor to God. Don't reduce holy mysteries to slogans. In trying to be relevant, you're only being cute and inviting sacrilege."

This was actually the first and only passage I looked at a couple of years ago when I first heard about "the message" and looked to see what it was about. I wonder how many more times Peterson condemns himself in "the message"?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Did the Author get His Own "Message"?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:12 am 

He seems to have a real problem with the title "Lord Jesus," — as I understand it, the phrase is completely absent from the entire book. In fact, the KJV records the word "Lord" almost 8,000 times; but Peterson's "Message" only contains the "Lord" 71 times!
More here on the mess of the "Message"...
http://www.av1611.org/kjv/mess_bible.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Did the Author get His Own "Message"?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:26 pm 

Well, poor ol' Rev. Peterson, the author of "The Message", was asked if he would "marry" a homosexual couple. He said yes. But that was only because "he was put on the spot", and it was a "hypothetical question", and pastors shouldn't have to deal with hypothetical questions, and he's 84, doesn't travel much, and generally asks for questions in writing, and he generally doesn't use the word "no".

He seems to have realized his mistake after Lifeway threatened to stop selling his books.

Makes me wonder what other "hypothectical" questions he might not be prepared to answer. I suspect "Can someone be saved who doesn' believe in Christ?" is a hypothecal that he would have a problem with as he has problems using the word "no".

I also wonder if someone was to ask the learned pastor how they could be saved, if he would reply, "Please submit your question in writing."

Some pastor who's prepared to give an answer to such difficult theological questions, as if the Bible isn't clear on the matter and it requires deep thought. :roll:

Quote:
It’s worth noting that in my 29-year career as a pastor, and in the years since then, I’ve never performed a same-sex wedding. I’ve never been asked and, frankly, I hope I never am asked. This reporter, however, asked a hypothetical question: if I were pastoring today and if a gay couple were Christians of good faith and if they asked me to perform their wedding ceremony—if, if, if. Pastors don’t have the luxury of indulging in hypotheticals. And to be honest, no is not a word I typically use. It was an awkward question for me because I don’t do many interviews at this stage in my life at 84, and I am no longer able to travel as I once did or accept speaking requests.

With most interviews I’ve done, I generally ask for questions in advance and respond in writing. That’s where I am most comfortable. When put on the spot by this particular interviewer, I said yes in the moment. But on further reflection and prayer, I would like to retract that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... -marriage/

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]