Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 2 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: What about Commentaries based on other Bible Versions?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:00 pm 

The Holy Spirit has led you to the one and only Word of God, the King James Bible. I wouldn't use any bible 'helps'. Pray for discernment and start reading, the Holy Spirit will do the rest...discard (trash) all modern satanic 'bible' material.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:49 pm 

PastorC wrote:
Hi, I am new to the Board and will properly introduce myself over in the 'Welcome' section later. Here is an abbreviation of my story and then a question.

I've been teaching and preaching since 1987 and have never used the KJV until January of 2016 in my ministry. I wanted to use it just as a challenge to myself, out of respect for the KJV and to bridge a gap to the older people in my congregation that I knew were using it. I did it for a whole year and enjoyed it!

I had all intentions of going back to a modern version this January but just felt restless anytime I tried. I googled the question: "Why should I use the KJV Bible?" and began to read the KJV Only stuff and watch videos. I was alarmed at what I read and heard concerning 'corrupt manuscripts' and the changes that were made in modern versions 'omitting \ changing' key words that pertain to my Savior! And also the many verses that are just completely gone.

I now understand better the KJV Only argument and am committed to continue with this accurate and well respected version of the Bible. My question now is: What about my Commentaries and other Books that are based upon 'modern versions'? Are they trustworthy? Do I need to \ have to get new Commentaries, etc... to be true to the Authorized Version? If so, can you give me some idea as to which ones to consider buying and some authors to look into?

Thanks!

PastorC

Welcome, if only our Pastor would wake up as well. He only reads out of the new versions in English and Korean ( long story) , and the youth's soon to be Pastor does as well, his name is Daniel. I hang out with the youth on Sunday fellowship after the sermon and the only one with a KJV. I have brought the issue one time with Daniel, and he gave me the weakest arguments for the mistakes as the way the Greek is translated argument, didn't buy it for a bit, but didn't argue with him, but i made it clear that i won't hold a new version or read out of one. Everyone also brings up the "its too hard to read" argument.

When i was beginning to read the KJV only, i bought some books to learn more about the Bible, Books like "The Truth about man" by Paul Washer. As my fiance and I were reading through it and trying to follow along with the KJV, i immediately noticed the difference and dropped those books like a hot potato, I don't even read books that use new versions for reference.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:39 pm 

Bannoura wrote:
Everyone also brings up the "its too hard to read" argument.

That comes from Low information Christians. ;)

1 Peter 1:25
But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:10 pm 

Biblebeliever wrote:
Bannoura wrote:
Everyone also brings up the "its too hard to read" argument.

That comes from Low information Christians. ;)

So true...they would rather have their butter knife, rather than the sharp two edged sword of the King
James Bible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:27 am 

Thanks for the posts and comments. Thought I would update on what's going on. I am settled on using the KJV in that, looking back, I believe that it was the providence of God that I got interested in using it over a year ago and now I can't get away from it with a clear conscience. I look at all my Bibles which are in other versions (about 20) and wonder how I could have not known this before. But I praise the Lord that I have been led to where I am and didn't continue my ministry with 'problem Bibles'.

My attention now is to lead my congregation and other's I might get to witness to, to the KJV without being needlessly offensive. I could preach and 'dump the truck' on them as to what I have found out but that would only turn many away from my ministry as I was turned away from the KJV-only movement for years. I think that my approach should be: Stick with the KJV and when asked 'why', give the correct answer. Also, in the course of preaching and teaching (4 times per week), I can point out flaws in other versions as needed (especially when it comes to passages dealing with doctrine and the person and work of Christ). I think this would be a better approach for me to take. If I went the other way, I would probably only win those few who already use the KJV Bible which is about 5% of my Congregation.

What think ye?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:50 am 

PastorC wrote:
...I praise the Lord that I have been led to where I am and didn't continue my ministry with 'problem Bibles'.

You're on the right track.

PastorC wrote:
I could preach and 'dump the truck' on them as to what I have found out but that would only turn many away from my ministry as I was turned away from the KJV-only movement for years. I think that my approach should be: Stick with the KJV and when asked 'why', give the correct answer. Also, in the course of preaching and teaching (4 times per week), I can point out flaws in other versions as needed (especially when it comes to passages dealing with doctrine and the person and work of Christ). I think this would be a better approach for me to take. If I went the other way, I would probably only win those few who already use the KJV Bible which is about 5% of my Congregation.

Don't ask, don't tell?
Pointing out the flaws in their modern versions is good, as long as you have first established your new position on the final authority and superiority of the KJB. In other words, as you tear down the works of men, you are lifting up the inerrant word of God to replace those corrupted versions.

To help break the ice, maybe you could write a series of brief articles for your weekly bulletin, about your journey regarding final authority, revealing the issue to them at a controlled pace. Or maybe use your bulletin to re-publish by permission some articles by other authors; slowly over a period of time, to avoid 'dumping the truck' on them with the wonderful truth that God is actually preserving His words for them. This is a positive message; to be shared with great joy.

Will you convince them, will you ruffle some feathers, will they vote you out, who knows. I understand there are sensitive ears, and I'm not a pastor; but at some point, I believe you should lead your flock and take a public stand on the issue and include it in your statement of faith for your ministry. This is something worth taking a stand for. I believe the most important verses in the Bible are Psalms 12:6-7, because if they aren't true, then I'm not sure the rest of it matters. Pray about it, and we will pray for you also. What denomination is the church, if I may ask.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:52 pm 

Bro. Parrish wrote:
I believe you should lead your flock and take a public stand on the issue and include it in your statement of faith for your ministry.
Also, PastorC, if I may ask what your church's statement of faith, constitution, or whatever, already says about the authority of Scripture? I'm thinking that may give some ideas of how to proceed?

(For instance; if it says the Bible is preserved and inerrant, then the church needs to decide how and where God preserved it as obviously all versions that contradict each other, or even themselves, can't be considered inerrant. If it says the original autographs were inerrant, that's true, but completely meaningless to us if we didn't have a faithful representation of them today as the statement by itself implies we don't. If it outright states there is no preserved Bible today, then the entire doctrine of your church is built on sand.)

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 2 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2