Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: The Fickleness of Women (Gen 3:16, ESV)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:34 pm 

How women have changed from 2011 to 2016:

From the 2011 ESV:
Quote:
[Gen 3:16] To the woman he said,
“I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing;
in pain you shall bring forth children.
Your desire shall be for your husband,
and he shall rule over you.”

From The New Improved 2016 ESV:
Quote:
To the woman he said,
“I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing;
in pain you shall bring forth children.
Your desire shall be contrary to your husband,
but he shall rule over you.”

Makes sense, doesn't it? As people change, and as women become more contrary, the bible needs to change to reflect that. :? :roll:

(I wonder if some ESV editors may have experienced marital problems in the past few years?)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Fickleness of Women (Gen 3:16, ESV)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:10 am 

Yeah, horrible wording.
But it doesn't matter, the academics are making it 'Permanent' (that's 'Permanent' with a capital T) so it will be more like our KJV...

"Beginning in the summer of 2016, the text of the ESV Bible will remain unchanged in all future editions printed and published by Crossway—in much the same way that the King James Version (KJV) has remained unchanged ever since the final KJV text was established almost 250 years ago (in 1769). This decision was made unanimously by the Crossway Board of Directors and the ESV Translation Oversight Committee. All future Crossway editions of the ESV, therefore, will contain the Permanent Text of the ESV Bible—unchanged throughout the life of the copyright, in perpetuity."

:roll:

Apparently, even liberal Baptist professors who think the KJV's words are "obsolete" are coughing up blood about this modern butchery of Gen 3:16 in the ESV. Since this is a clown who uses the pathetic NIV, I don't see why he's so disturbed by the putrid wording in the ESV. But let's face it, I will never understand the scholarship-only mindset...

https://claudemariottini.com/2016/09/12 ... f-the-esv/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:38 pm 

Bro. Parrish wrote:
Yeah, horrible wording.
But it doesn't matter, the academics are making it 'Permanent' (that's 'Permanent' with a capital T) so it will be more like our KJV...

"Beginning in the summer of 2016, the text of the ESV Bible will remain unchanged in all future editions printed and published by Crossway—in much the same way that the King James Version (KJV) has remained unchanged ever since the final KJV text was established almost 250 years ago (in 1769). This decision was made unanimously by the Crossway Board of Directors and the ESV Translation Oversight Committee. All future Crossway editions of the ESV, therefore, will contain the Permanent Text of the ESV Bible—unchanged throughout the life of the copyright, in perpetuity."

:roll:

Apparently, even liberal Baptist professors who think the KJV's words are "obsolete" are coughing up blood about this modern butchery of Gen 3:16 in the ESV. Since this is a clown who uses the pathetic NIV, I don't see why he's so disturbed by the putrid wording in the ESV. But let's face it, I will never understand the scholarship-only mindset...

https://claudemariottini.com/2016/09/12 ... f-the-esv/
But wait! There's more:
Quote:
We have become convinced that this decision was a mistake. We apologize for this and for any concern this has caused for readers of the ESV, and we want to explain what we now believe to be the way forward. Our desire, above all, is to do what is right before the Lord.

Our goal at Crossway remains as strong as ever to serve future generations with a stable ESV text. But the means to that goal, we now see, is not to establish a permanent text but rather to allow for ongoing periodic updating of the text to reflect the realities of biblical scholarship such as textual discoveries or changes in English over time. These kinds of updates will be minimal and infrequent, but fidelity to Scripture requires that we remain open in principle to such changes, as the Crossway Board of Directors and the ESV Translation Oversight Committee see fit in years ahead.
https://www.crossway.org/blog/2016/09/c ... ible-text/

Their fidelity to Scripture requires that they remain open to change it. :?

So their 'Permanent' with a capital T isn't so much so after all. (Actually, I don't know what you mean by "'Permanent' with a capital T, but I get the gist.)

They've decided that to remain true to the word of God, that they need to keep changing it it after all. After all, the further we get away from the time the Scriptures were written, scholars get closer to determining what it should say. We can't take the jobs of these scholars away. :roll: Besides, there is a big market in people who collect each edition of each version the way some do State Quarters.

Crossway seems kind of fickle also. Are they run by women? :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:45 pm 

Jeff wrote:
So their 'Permanent' with a capital T isn't so much so after all. (Actually, I don't know what you mean by "'Permanent' with a capital T, but I get the gist.)
I got it. T is for Temporary, so you were saying that it's Temporarily Permanent.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:03 pm 

AUGUST:
Quote:
"Beginning in the summer of 2016, the text of the ESV Bible will remain unchanged...ll future Crossway editions of the ESV, therefore, will contain the Permanent Text of the ESV Bible—unchanged throughout the life of the copyright, in perpetuity."

SEPTEMBER:
Quote:
"In August 2016, we posted on our website that “the text of the ESV Bible will remain unchanged... We have become convinced that this decision was a mistake."

So, they couldn't stand the idea of an unchanging Bible for more than 30 days.

:?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:29 pm 

Bro. Parrish wrote:

Psalm 119:89 LAMED.
For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.

They can't figure out what those words are.

ESV also has:
Luke 2:14 "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!"

Does God offer peace to those with whom he is not pleased?

1Peter 1:18,19
redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:10 pm 

Bro. Parrish wrote:
I suspect the backlash against their initial statement was immediate and intense. "Scholars" are in charge of the church now, and any claims of Bible inerrancy or unchanging Bibles and such makes them feel threatened and they lash out, and everyone else just looks to them and follow their leads. After all, how would anyone know what to believe if it wasn't for the "Scholars"?

PeanutGallery wrote:
Psalm 119:89 LAMED.
For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.

They can't figure out what those words are.

ESV also has:
Luke 2:14 "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!"

Does God offer peace to those with whom he is not pleased?
I guess Calvinists believe He doesn't.

I got the info about the change in the ESV from World Magazine which states in the article:
Quote:
A more recent translation kerfuffle occurs in the 2016 edition of the ESV, favored by Reformed evangelicals and this magazine.
https://world.wng.org/2017/01/quite_contrary

So I'm guessing that Luke 2:14 is one reason they favor the ESV. I suppose they believe that God only offers peace to the chosen ones whom He forces to please Him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:57 pm 

These folks authority changes every time they get a mood swing. That's the real problem here, there trying to protect something they don't even believe to be preserved and enspired. They will continue to change to more liberally worded versions each time they are numb to a new one. They have came up with another new version, but they don't believe it any more than the last one.

They only trust their own authority, not God's. We believe we have the final authority, and the scripture says his word is perfect. We believe it, they don't. Let God be true and every man a liar.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:20 am 

Bro Jones wrote:
These folks authority changes every time they get a mood swing. That's the real problem here, there trying to protect something they don't even believe to be preserved and enspired. They will continue to change to more liberally worded versions each time they are numb to a new one. They have came up with another new version, but they don't believe it any more than the last one.

They only trust their own authority, not God's. We believe we have the final authority, and the scripture says his word is perfect. We believe it, they don't. Let God be true and every man a liar.

Yes sir -- you nailed it!

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]