Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Geneva Bible
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:12 pm 

Does anyone here know much about the Geneva Bible? I know nothing and what made me even this is 1st Timothy 2:9 says "braided" in my hair but a majority in our Sunday School class had Bibles that said "broided". All the online KJ Bibles spells with an "o" too, but the online Geneva spells as my King James.

In 1 Sam 5:9 my Bible says "emrods" where many King James Bibles (or some at least) have changed that word to "hemeroids", so I am saying I guess that "braided" with an "a" seems correct compared to the "o".

Can anyone here enlighten me?

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Geneva Bible
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:58 pm 

Bro. Chuck wrote:
Does anyone here know much about the Geneva Bible? I know nothing and what made me even this is 1st Timothy 2:9 says "braided" in my hair but a majority in our Sunday School class had Bibles that said "broided". All the online KJ Bibles spells with an "o" too, but the online Geneva spells as my King James.

In 1 Sam 5:9 my Bible says "emrods" where many King James Bibles (or some at least) have changed that word to "hemeroids", so I am saying I guess that "braided" with an "a" seems correct compared to the "o".

Perhaps you could provide a link to the online Geneva Bible you are referencing and the online KJVs you are referencing, because I came up with different results.
I found an online version of the Geneva Bible and it spells them, "broided" and "emerods."

I have eight King James Bibles and they all spell them as "broided" and "emerods."
I checked many of online KJVs and they all spell them, "broided" and "emerods."
I could not find any version (KJV or not) that spelled them, "emrods" or "hemeroids."
I could only find non KJVs that spelled them, "Hemorrhoids."
The original KJV 1611 spelled them "broided" and "emerods."

It would be my conclusion and opinion that the correct spellings are, "broided" and "emerods." I have seen articles online (here is an example) of how to spot counterfeit Bibles. They usually include a list of misspelled words to check.

(1 Timothy 1:15)

“Saying that you like me, but that you do not like my religion, is like saying that you enjoy eating peaches, but that you do not care for their flavor.”

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:15 pm 

Bro. Chuck wrote:

Thanks.

Same words, different spelling. Not a big deal really. Now if you found one that said "brunette" that would be an issue! :? Some people get all bent out of shape over this stuff but from what I have seen the feeling on this forum is that God promised to preserve words, but not necessarily identical spelling of the same words.

Geneva was part of the purification process on the way to the KJV they have some info about it here --->

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=321

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:30 am 

Baptist1611 wrote:
Bro. Chuck wrote:

Thanks.

Same words, different spelling. Not a big deal really. Now if you found one that said "brunette" that would be an issue! :? Some people get all bent out of shape over this stuff but from what I have seen the feeling on this forum is that God promised to preserve words, but not necessarily identical spelling of the same words.

Geneva was part of the purification process on the way to the KJV they have some info about it here --->

http://kjvbibleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=321

Thanks for the response and link Baptist.

Chuck

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:34 am 

Brother Stafford wrote:
Bro. Chuck wrote:

Perhaps you could provide a link to the online Geneva Bible you are referencing and the online KJVs you are referencing, because I came up with different results.
I found an online version of the Geneva Bible and it spells them, "broided" and "emerods."

I have eight King James Bibles and they all spell them as "broided" and "emerods."
I checked many of online KJVs and they all spell them, "broided" and "emerods."
I could not find any version (KJV or not) that spelled them, "emrods" or "hemeroids."
I could only find non KJVs that spelled them, "Hemorrhoids."
The original KJV 1611 spelled them "broided" and "emerods."

It would be my conclusion and opinion that the correct spellings are, "broided" and "emerods." I have seen articles online (here is an example) of how to spot counterfeit Bibles. They usually include a list of misspelled words to check.

My Bible reads emerods and not hemeroids like I've seen in others. The difference between the two words (minus my mispelling) is hemeroids is a private interpretation were as emerods is the correct translation. That is my opinion at any rate.

The online Geneva that I found was on Biblegateway, of which I'm not impressed with anyway.
But here is the link:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Timothy+2&version=GNV

Thanks for your comments.

Chuck

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:02 am 

Here's the way I see it -- a lot of these issues are related to spelling styles in our English. We still encounter these types of things in English today for example we have the word "color" but the British spell that same word "colour." Is "color" wrong? Of course not -- it's just a different style of spelling!

Just because one KJV uses "color" and another uses "colour" does not necessarily make one a counterfeit Bible, it just means one of them uses Webster's spelling of the same English word in his Compendious Dictionary.

So we are talking about the same identical words, different spelling.

To me a problematic translation issue would be more like the corrupt NKJV which says -- "tumors" ( vs. emerods or hemorrhoids. ) Or the so-called Living Bible which states "plague."

A tumor is not the same medical condition, it's a different word. Plague is also a completely different word.

I'm just sayin -- I try not to confuse translation issues with spelling style issues.

Here is some info on Webster's English spellings -->

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/educat ... and-colour

Here is some info on "emerods" vs. "plague" mistranslation -->

http://brandplucked.webs.com/1sam59emerods.htm

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:09 am 

Baptist1611 wrote:
Here's the way I see it -- a lot of these issues are related to spelling styles in our English. We still encounter these types of things in English today for example we have the word "color" but the British spell that same word "colour." Is "color" wrong? Of course not -- it's just a different style of spelling!

Just because one KJV uses "color" and another uses "colour" does not necessarily make one a counterfeit Bible, it just means one of them uses Webster's spelling of the same English word in his Compendious Dictionary.

So we are talking about the same identical words, different spelling.

To me a problematic translation issue would be more like the corrupt NKJV which says -- "tumors" ( vs. emerods or hemorrhoids. ) Or the so-called Living Bible which states "plague."

A tumor is not the same medical condition, it's a different word. Plague is also a completely different word.

I'm just sayin -- I try not to confuse translation issues with spelling style issues.

Here is some info on Webster's English spellings -->

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/educat ... and-colour

Here is some info on "emerods" vs. "plague" mistranslation -->

http://brandplucked.webs.com/1sam59emerods.htm

I always felt like absolutely equating hemorrhoids to emerods was an pressumption (though I agree likely) and thereby a translation rather than a spelling revision which of course would be tainting the Word of God....
But your thought of it being a simple spelling revision leads me to to consider that you may be onto something there.
Thanks again for your response.
On the Geneva Bible, I appreciate the input. I was just getting a little curious about it. I have always been and will remain not only a King James Bible man but a King James Bible only bible man.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]