Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Article by the makers of the HCSB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:26 pm 

I forgot I was following the HCSB Facebook page until I saw this article posted by them titled "Biblical Accuracy and Choosing a Translation". This is part 1 so I guess they will be posting a part 2 later. I'm posting since they do talk about the KJV and ask for responses :)

http://hcsb.org/b/authorjournal/archive/2013/01/30/biblical-accuracy-and-choosing-a-translation-pt-1.aspx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Article by the makers of the HCSB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:38 pm 

The article is nonsense -- why do you think we would care to read that?
The only "hermeneutical gap" is the one between their ears. :roll:

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:58 pm 

Baptist1611 wrote:
The article is nonsense -- why do you think we would care to read that?
The only "hermeneutical gap" is the one between their ears. :roll:

Sorry you found my post offensive. In my OP I stated why I posted the link.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:15 pm 

Okay well I gave you my response -- feel free to share it with them! :mrgreen:

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:34 pm 

ElainaMor wrote:

"First, the Bible was written in various ancient languages.
New versions like the NKJV and HCSB have come alongside readers to help close the gap,"

There's a contradiction; how does one close the gap of ancient languages, when there exists no native ancient language speakers?

1Peter 1:18,19
redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:29 pm 

Quote:
I think that English speakers should have more than one translation. If we have in our background a history of Christian thought in the Western world, especially in the English-speaking world, it's part of our tradition and it's important to own a lot more than one translation.

Why sure, and every engineer, mechanic, physician, etc. should have more than one technical manual. There is no one right way to put together and tune an engine, for instance. And what does the manufacturers who put out these manuals know anyway, we need to reinterpret them to cover all our bases, or we may have an mechanic who just can't read above the second grade level, and how is he going to rebuild our anti-lock brakes without a book written in Dr. Suess style?

Brother Parrish may have touched on this before, but I wonder if producing English bible after English bible, besides confusing English people, also detracts us from spreading the Gospel throughout the rest of the world as we are commanded to do. I've seen it said that us KJVers were arrogant for thinking God in particular gave us English speakers the perfect scriptures, but it seems more arrogant to me to think that we should spend so much time and effort producing more and more English versions so we can have many bibles while so many non-English speaking people are neglected.

Quote:
I do recommend that every English-speaking Christian have a King James Bible. There's nothing that compares to it in terms of its elegance and its cadence and the beauty of its language. … But it's not the most accurate anymore. So it's elegant, it's easy to memorize out of even though the language is archaic, but it's not always real clear and it's not always real accurate.

They always have to give some credit to the KJV, they can't completely dismiss it or deny its power. What is that saying; "condemn with praise", or something like that?

Quote:
While the King James Version of the Bible is a treasure to the modern English-speaking world, as language has evolved over hundreds of years, do modern audiences receive the translation as accurate? What does Wallace mean when he says, "it's not the most accurate anymore?"

Seems to be more and more christians who believe in evolution. :roll: Our society, language, etc. is not evloving. Just the opposite. As I think you (Elaina) noted before, we shouldn't be dumbing down the "Bible" as society devolves. As I understand it, education in our country used to be based in large part on the Bible. When education is based on the Bible we don't have the decay in our society and language to the extent that we have when we ignore and deny it. Or even when study the Bible to some extent while at the same time believing it is inaccurate, full of mistakes, and anyone's guess at to what it should say or mean.

Men like Wallace also seem to lean solely on what the see as their own great knowledge and wisdom, and leave God out of their work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:04 pm 

Elaina:
Thank you for posting the link. I always find it intersting to read what they have to say themselves. But in the end, it is still the same mindless drivel that ALL of the new version publishers say about their corrupt versions. Further, they write their nonsense as if nobody has ever refuted their conclusions....we have to the hilt, and they just pretend as if nobody said anything. They remind me of the left-wing politicians, with their mouths wide open, and their fingers stuck in their ears....

"There is nothing new under the sun."

Psalm 119:45 And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:35 pm 

Dan wallace doesn't believe in a Bible that is Inerrant and Inspired. He was the editor of the New testament for the Net bible.

Scholars don't recognize a perfect Bible nor will they ever have a complete one. It would be bad for business.
Good luck if you find any greek scholars who even agree amongst themselves. If they can't agree on a particular text,than how are they going to provide you with a solid answer on Bible translations?

http://www.dts.edu/about/faculty/dwallace/
Quote:
Dr. Wallace is also the senior New Testament editor of the NET Bible and coeditor of the NET-Nestle Greek-English diglot. He has been a consultant on four different Bible translations.

There are the usual praise and attacks on the KJ in order to promote there latest Bible perversion. They will tell you they have the most accurate up to date translation...................until there next revision.

In order to get a copyright there has to be a significant change. Now look at the cover page of a NASB. :o

Trying to get a straight answer out of a scholar is as difficult as getting a straight answer from a politician. :lol:

1 Peter 1:25
But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Last edited by Biblebeliever on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:17 pm 

Biblebeliever wrote:
In order to get a copyright there has to be a significant change. Now look at the cover page of a NASB.

I've heard that also; the problem I have is that I cannot find a link that explains what needs to be changed in order to obtain a copyright as in the case of NKJV.
I'm wondering if it is possible to find such info on internet.

1Peter 1:18,19
redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:35 pm 

Biblebeliever wrote:
Dan wallace doesn't believe in a Bible that is Innerant and Ispired. He was the editor of the New testament for the Net bible.

So Wallace saying that you should buy lots of modern versions is like Anheuser Busch saying that you should buy lots of beer.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next