Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 2 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Article by the makers of the HCSB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:42 pm 

I had an email from the state library in Des moines, Iowa. It stated that there had to be a significant change in order to obtain a copyright. Basically the same as what is shown on the link below.

Excerpt from the U.S. Copyright office:

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-register.html

Quote:
How much do I have to change in my own work to make a new claim of copyright?
You may make a new claim in your work if the changes are substantial and creative, something more than just editorial changes or minor changes. This would qualify as a new derivative work. For instance, simply making spelling corrections throughout a work does not warrant a new registration, but adding an additional chapter would. See Circular 14, Copyright Registration for Derivative Works, for further information.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf

1 Peter 1:25
But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:53 pm 

What gets me is everyone says they have the most up-to-date accurate translation...until the next most up-to-date accurate translation comes out. I think this constant new release of translations is to garnish sales by making people feel they no longer have an accurate translation. No wonder no one trusts their Bibles, they are waiting around wondering when the Bible they are using is going to become out-of-date. And really how accurate can these new translations be (I know we know the answer to this), take the ESV for example. It came out in 2001, then in 2007 an update was released and again in 2011. In 10 years it had to be updated twice! I know the HSCB, which is younger than the ESV, has already undergone at least 2 revisions as well. If translators today can't and won't say they can translate the Bible with complete accuracy then why should we be expected to trust their translations. *ok, just my novice 2 cents*

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:55 pm 

Jeff wrote:
So Wallace saying that you should buy lots of modern versions is like Anheuser Busch saying that you should buy lots of beer.

Both are trying to sell you something that will make you sick.

But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:01 pm 

Steve Schwenke wrote:
Elaina:
Thank you for posting the link. I always find it intersting to read what they have to say themselves. But in the end, it is still the same mindless drivel that ALL of the new version publishers say about their corrupt versions. Further, they write their nonsense as if nobody has ever refuted their conclusions....we have to the hilt, and they just pretend as if nobody said anything. They remind me of the left-wing politicians, with their mouths wide open, and their fingers stuck in their ears....

"There is nothing new under the sun."

You're welcome, I only posted it because of what he said about the KJV...otherwise I wouldn't have posted it cause I do realize it holds no weight or validation. I find it interesting how such people can basically be speaking out of both sides of their mouth.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:14 pm 

Biblebeliever wrote:
Jeff wrote:
So Wallace saying that you should buy lots of modern versions is like Anheuser Busch saying that you should buy lots of beer.

But beer is made out of good stuff, isn't it? Good wholesome grains like is in bread, what's a little leaven?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:07 am 

Jeff wrote:
Biblebeliever wrote:
Jeff wrote:

But beer is made out of good stuff, isn't it? Good wholesome grains like is in bread, what's a little leaven?

So is E10,E85 fuel,but i don't think i would drink it. :lol:

The lump has been leavened.. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:38 am 

Biblebeliever wrote:

Thanks; gonna read it.

1Peter 1:18,19
redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:56 am 

Biblebeliever wrote:

Quote:
The copyright in a derivative work covers only the additions, changes, or other new material appearing for the first time in the work. It does not extend to any preexisting material and does not imply a copyright in that material...

NKJV
Quote:
Version Information

Commissioned in 1975 by Thomas Nelson Publishers, 130 respected Bible scholars, church leaders, and lay Christians worked for seven years to create a completely new, modern translation of Scripture, yet one that would retain the purity and stylistic beauty of the original King James. With unyielding faithfulness to the original Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic texts, the translation applies the most recent research in archaeology, linguistics, and textual studies.

Copyright Information

Scripture from any of the Thomas Nelson translations may be quoted in any form (written, visual, electronic, or audio) up to two Hundred fifty (250) verses or less without written permission, as long as the Scripture does not make up more than 25% of the total text in the work and the Scripture is not being quoted in commentary or another Biblical reference work. If an entire book of the Bible is being reproduced, regardless of verse count, written permission is required.

Apparently the copyright claim only applies to parts that have been changed; so, is NKJV claiming copyright on parts that were taken directly from KJB?
Seems so, if permission is required for an entire book that has retained the purity of the KJB.

============
So much for the sales pitch that states only the thee, thou, ye, thine and archaic words are changed.

1Peter 1:18,19
redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 2 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2