Change font size


Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 2   [ 13 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: A strictly out of curiosity question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:36 pm 

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:40 pm
Posts: 55
Today in church a dear sweet woman sat next to me. I love her so much but she barely speaks English. She comes to our services cause her teenage daughter speaks better English than Spanish. I noticed during the service she was using a Spanish bible. So it got me thinking...is there such a thing as foreign language KJV? If not, what about those who don't read English, do they just not have an infallible Bible available to them? Well I guess they don't but how do us KJV-O's resolve this is issue? I ask cause I'm assuming there is already an answer but I'm just not aware of it.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: A strictly out of curiosity question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:51 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:56 pm
Posts: 268
Location: Ia
Information on the Reina Valera:

http://www.chick.com/ask/articles/reinavalera.asp

One of our Missionaries from Mexico had said that he uses a 1602.

_________________
1 Peter 1:25
But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: A strictly out of curiosity question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:04 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:45 pm
Posts: 2081
Location: Amarillo, TX
The missionaries have to use what is there....but the real Bible Believers will work long and hard to work out the kinks in their vernacular Bibles.

The truth is that up until the 1900's all of the foreign language Bibles were very close to the KJV. But when they started correcting the KJV, they also started changing all of the foreign language Bibles. So the good missionaries have a hard time, but work with what they have, and point out to their people the problems in those Bibles.

_________________
Pastor Steve Schwenke
Liberty Baptist Church
Amarillo, TX
Psalm 119:45 And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: A strictly out of curiosity question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:07 pm 

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:40 pm
Posts: 55
Thanks for the replies. Bottom line is the AV is the only infallible Bible available but KJV-O's don't insist that foreign language speakers must learn to read English in order to read the bible, in other words we are sensitive to their needs. I'm I reasoning this correctly?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: A strictly out of curiosity question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:50 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:56 am
Posts: 3255
ElainaMor wrote:
Today in church a dear sweet woman sat next to me. I love her so much but she barely speaks English. She comes to our services cause her teenage daughter speaks better English than Spanish... what about those who don't read English, do they just not have an infallible Bible available to them?


The fact is, any Latinos who aren't learning English are being left behind by the rest of the world. They know this; that's why they are climbing over themselves to learn it and make sure their children learn it.

According to the Pew Research Hispanic Center, almost 25% of our adult first-generation Latinos living in the U.S. say they can carry on a conversation in English very well. That number shoots up to 88% among second generation of adults, and climbs to 94% among the third and higher generations.

God promised to preserve His word for every generation but not in every existing language. As I have written previously on this forum, other nations like China and Africa were not given a perfect translation, the English speaking people were given the perfect Bible. And today, the entire world is actively involved in learning one language; Spanish? Greek? Hebrew? No, ENGLISH. God knew this would happen.

I believe there have been efforts to translate a dependable Bible into most other major languages, in fact I used to work for a company that made audio recordings of the Bible into over 20 different languages, and they aggressively shipped them all over the globe. Some of them were better than others, but none of them matched the KJV in accuracy and inerrancy. The owners loved Psalms 68:11 - "The Lord gave the word: great was the company of those that published it."

I believe that a translation or a recording or a piece of literature in another language (like a Chinese gospel tract) can be effective in helping someone get saved, without being the 100% perfect and preserved words of God, which we have in our KJB. As Bro. Steve has said, our missionaries work with what they have. I also believe that if a person desires to have an inerrant copy of God's words, the Lord will make sure they get one at some point. (see Matt 7:7-11)

The reality is, 1 BILLION people on the planet can already pick up a King James Bible and understand it. But what's really amazing is how English has exploded to cover the entire globe. At any given time, China alone has at least 175 million kids learning English, the universal language. So as fast as we have been trying to convert the Bible into other languages, the entire world is wonderfully adapting to learn English. I say again; God knew this would happen.

_________________
The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever." Psalms 12:6-7


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: A strictly out of curiosity question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:21 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:13 pm
Posts: 2290
Ditto to what the brothers above said.

One of the objections to the perfect scriptures being available only in English is, I imagine, that it would be unfair for God not to give everyone the same advantage native English speakers have. For that matter it may not seem fair that I can go just about anywhere I want and worship and talk freely about Christ, while others in other countries are being locked up and tortured. It may not seem fair that I can own several Bibles while others would give everything they have just to have one copy of the complete scriptures. The advantages Israel had in the OT may not seem fair.

But then, I believe we'll be judged for all the advantages we have and how we used or wasted them.

I'm not saying anyone here is saying it's unfair, I'm just rambling again. :)


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: A strictly out of curiosity question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:14 am 

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:40 pm
Posts: 55
Bro. Parrish wrote:
The reality is, 1 BILLION people on the planet can already pick up a King James Bible and understand it. But what's really amazing is how English has exploded to cover the entire globe. At any given time, China alone has at least 175 million kids learning English, the universal language. So as fast as we have been trying to convert the Bible into other languages, the entire world is wonderfully adapting to learn English. I say again; God knew this would happen.



Thanks for the info. That just makes a lot of sense. I seemed to have forgotten just how universal the English language is and how people all over the world are being required to learn it. I guess that just defeats any argument about non-English speakers and the KJV...in this day and age it really is almost a non-issue.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: A strictly out of curiosity question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:18 am 

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:40 pm
Posts: 55
Jeff wrote:
Ditto to what the brothers above said.

One of the objections to the perfect scriptures being available only in English is, I imagine, that it would be unfair for God not to give everyone the same advantage native English speakers have. For that matter it may not seem fair that I can go just about anywhere I want and worship and talk freely about Christ, while others in other countries are being locked up and tortured. It may not seem fair that I can own several Bibles while others would give everything they have just to have one copy of the complete scriptures. The advantages Israel had in the OT may not seem fair.

But then, I believe we'll be judged for all the advantages we have and how we used or wasted them.

I'm not saying anyone here is saying it's unfair, I'm just rambling again. :)



What an excellent point. Lots of people don't think salvation is always fair either...Just proves that God's thoughts are higher than our thoughts.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: A strictly out of curiosity question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:23 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:56 am
Posts: 3255
ElainaMor wrote:
Thanks for the info. That just makes a lot of sense. I seemed to have forgotten just how universal the English language is and how people all over the world are being required to learn it. I guess that just defeats any argument about non-English speakers and the KJV...in this day and age it really is almost a non-issue.

My pleasure. English is clearly the best language for the Bible and God certainly knew this in advance when He gave us the KJB. But just to be clear, getting the the word of God out to other nations is still an important issue, and as I have said, I believe there have been efforts to translate a dependable translation into most other major languages. There is still a need to reach thousands of specific regions with somewhat reliable language translations so at least they can understand the gospel and be saved. There are groups who specialize in this area, (some better than others) for example Baptist Bible Translators is one group that is seems to be making an effort...

Here is their stand on the authority of the King James Version;
I believe they state that they do believe the KJV is the only valid text of the NT that should be translated into other languages:
https://baptisttranslators.com/why-the-kjv/

Here is their list of specific regions in need of help:
http://www.baptisttranslators.com/content/view/53/53/

_________________
The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever." Psalms 12:6-7


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: A strictly out of curiosity question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:32 am 

Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:47 pm
Posts: 8
In response to the point made earlier that meanings of certain words in the Spanish Bibles were changed from the 1860s, I would agree - why change the meaning, unless the language itself has changed, in which case it is to avoid misunderstandings? As to the learning of English in order to get a better grasp of the meaning, I would respectfully pose the question - How easy is it to get a proper grasp of the meaning, even by English speakers, of 400 year old English? It is a pity that translators, though well meaning in this regard, did not make a success of the NKJV. I would love to see this issue resolved so that there is one AV based correctly on the original KJV with accurate correctly understandable wording in good standard smoothly flowing contemporary English which also preserves all the original word pictures etc.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 2   [ 13 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

9,365,625 Views


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
610nm Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net