Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 5 of 5   [ 44 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Capitalization in the KJV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:08 pm 

I found this site searching a similar question. Here is who I am so that you know I don't have any hidden agendas.

I was raised Roman Catholic. I got saved and became a Baptist when I met my husband. When I first started reading the Bible for myself I read the NIV. We have been in a Southern Baptist church which used preach out of the KJ, but our Pastor retired and then soon passed away. Our new Pastor switched to NASB. This caused me to start thinking about all the different translations. I also saw at this time with everyone starting to use so many different translations in Sunday School and Bible Study there was a lot of "well my translation says this" and "I like the way this translation says this". To me this seemed to lead to alot of confusion. I researched this subject and came to realize that the KJV was the inspired Word of God for the English Speaking people. The new translations only lead to confusion and confusion is from Satan.

So here are my honest and sincere questions.....

When I purchased my KJV Bible I didn't realize at the time that various publishers where also corrupting the KJ text. I found online a list of words to check to see how accurate your KJ Bible is to the original 1611 version. I was going through this list and found what seemed to me an inconsistency in the capitalization of Spirit. I also double checked them with a fax copy of the orig 1611 online. Here are the verses:

spirit not capitalized: Gen 41:38, 1 Sam 10:10, 1 Sam 16:14

Spirit capitalized: Gen 1:2, 1 Sam 10:16, 1 Sam 11:6, 1 Sam 16:13, 1 Sam 19:20, 1 Sam 19:23 (I left out Judges bc they were all capitalized and didn't seem to be inconsistent)

Is this a publisher error when it was originally printed or is there a Biblical interpretational difference? I am NOT a theologian and don't like to get into looking things up in the greek. I know this may seem trivial but I am the ONLY woman in my Bible Study Class that uses the KJV and I am constantly told it is full of errors and I should be using a more "literal interpreation like the NASB". I want to always have an answer for those questioning the KJV.

I also have an off topic question: When I was studying the TORAH in bible study I was constantly plagued with the question why would God tell the Israelites to observe the Sabbath and Feasts forever if we are not suppossed to be doing that today. I have heard all the arguments about Jesus fullfilling these and therefore we don't need to observe them, but why did God use the word forever? I felt like I never really answered this question for myself. I have recently meet a Hebrew Roots movement lady online and this has resurfaced the question for me again. Don't worry I am not going to get sucked into this movement but just need to put this question to bed for myself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:53 pm 

I think the explanation is simple. When God wants to emphasize the impersonal aspect, He uses the uncapitalized version of the word. Most of the references that are not capitalized of the Holy Spirit occur in the Old Testament, and we know that the Jews did not have a personal relationship with the Holy Spirit until the Church in the New Testament.

1 Cor. 13And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:23 pm 

escuej1 wrote:
Is this a publisher error when it was originally printed or is there a Biblical interpretational difference? I am NOT a theologian and don't like to get into looking things up in the greek.

Howdy. I know what you mean! Couple links below may help you.

There are some real fanatics out there on this caps and spelling stuff. :roll:
My opinion -- spelling and caps variations of the same WORDS don't make your KJV Bible incorrect, and don't amount to a hill of beans. First they tried to attack the italics, now they get hung up on this stuff. The textual critics who come on here blabbing about this stuff usually get banned because they love to confuse people. The smallest unit God promised to preserve was a WORD, not variations in spelling and caps. (see video at bottom).

escuej1 wrote:
I know this may seem trivial but I am the ONLY woman in my Bible Study Class that uses the KJV and I am constantly told it is full of errors and I should be using a more "literal interpretation like the NASB". I want to always have an answer for those questioning the KJV.

Well with all due respect -- if the bozos in your Bible Study Class are "constantly" telling you it is full of errors, my suggestion is find another Bible Class -- immediately!!! No offense, but why on earth would you stay there? Considering the horrible renderings in the NASB, I would think your church pals have a lot more to worry about than capital letters in the KJV --->

Psalm 12:6-7
The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
The above promise from the King James Bible tells us that God intends to preserve His WORDS forever. Notice how the new versions destroy this promise by making you think the context is God's PEOPLE rather than His WORDS:
NASB... Thou wilt preserve him?

Revelation 22:16 tells us that Jesus Christ is the "Morning Star". The King James Bible never gives this title to anyone else. However, in some new versions, Jesus Christ and Satan are the same, because some versions have taken the liberty to call Satan the "morning star" in Isaiah 14:12. Although some versions do not go so far as to call Satan the "morning star," they still throw out the name "Lucifer".
NASB... star of the morning?

Daniel 3:25
He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.
NASB... a son of the gods????

Luke 2:33
And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him.
Here the new versions attack the Virgin Birth by telling us that Joseph was Christ's father:
NASB... His father?

Colossians 1:14
In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
Satan hates the Atoning Blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, so we shouldn't be surprised to find the blood missing in modern translations:
NASB... redemption, the forgiveness of sins (no blood)?

II Corinthians 2:17
For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.
You can imagine how this verse must be a thorn in the flesh to the modern translators who are busy CORRUPTING the word of God day and night. So, do they repent of their sins and get right with God? Of course not:
NASB... peddling?

II Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
This is the one command in the New Testament to "study" and "rightly divide" God's word, and the Devil does NOT appreciate it:
NASB... Be diligent...handling accurately? (no study, no dividing!)

Fighting Back! Handy Reference for KJV Believers
http://www.av1611.org/kjv/fight.html#fight10

VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... JR7ym5pKgA

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:20 pm 

escuej1
first of all, welcome to the forum! We hope we can help you answer these questions.
Regarding the capitalization of the word "Spirit" in different editions by different publishers, I would not worry too much about it. Others will disagree with me, but I agree with Baptist - God promised to preserve the WORDS.

Regarding the Feasts etc, the fact is that we are no longer under the Law, but under Grace. In the OT, keeping the sabbath and the feasts was part of their salvation. They were required to keep the Law in order to receive national blessings from the Lord (see Deut. 28). In the OT, God was dealing with the Jewish Nation, and the Jews as a nation was required by the OT Law to do certain things. If anyone wanted to be saved in the OT, they had to become a Jewish proselyte (Ruth for example).
The NT is completely different. ANYONE can be saved, and it has nothing to do with being a Jewish proselyte, keeping the Law, observing the Sabbath, or keeping the feasts. It has to do with simply believing the Jesus Christ fulfilled ALL the requirements for salvation. Jesus Christ did what we could never do - He kept the entire Law.
Some verses for your consideration:
John 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
(The "ordinances" referred to here include every aspect of the ceremonial law, which includes the normal Sabbath day - Lev. 23. They have been "taken out of the way" for us by the work of Jesus CHrist at Calvary.)

I hope this answers your questions....if not, we are here to help!

Psalm 119:45 And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 5 of 5   [ 44 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5