Change font size


Post a new topicWrite comments Page 2 of 3   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Westcott and Hort, what was their purpose.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:57 pm 

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:40 pm
Posts: 275
It has been a few years since I looked at the “Jesus is Lord” site. They have a lot of good articles, but I didn't realize they were anti-dispensational.

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/dispensa.htm

_________________
~craig

Romans 4:3 For what saith the scripture?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Westcott and Hort, what was their purpose.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:11 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:45 pm
Posts: 2081
Location: Amarillo, TX
Thanks for the link, Craig...I didn't know that either....

_________________
Pastor Steve Schwenke
Liberty Baptist Church
Amarillo, TX
Psalm 119:45 And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Westcott and Hort, what was their purpose.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:41 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:46 pm
Posts: 40
In the bottom of the article, it says Soli Deo Gloria, a phrase common among the Reformed, meaning its a Reformed/Calvinism-leaning site

_________________

1 Cor. 13And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.



Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Westcott and Hort, what was their purpose.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:26 am 

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:32 pm
Posts: 14
Location: North Carolina
This may be helpful to some wanting to read more about Westcott and Hort from a different perspective... they have a Westcott and Hort Resource Center online, here's the link: http://www.westcotthort.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Westcott and Hort, what was their purpose.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:27 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 3309
Marc wrote:
This may be helpful to some wanting to read more about Westcott and Hort from a different perspective... they have a Westcott and Hort Resource Center online, here's the link: http://www.westcotthort.com/

Did you read the stuff on that site? :?
I went to their "Frequently Assaulted Quotes" and looked at it. Their weak attempts to clarify the pathetic heresy of Westcott and Hort are unbelievable. --->
http://www.westcotthort.com/quotes_scripture.html

W&H were two guys who had problems with doctrines on hell, but had no problem swallowing RCC lies about "purgatory." This page shows that the views of Westcott and Hort on fundamental Bible truths are about as far out in left field as you can get --->

http://www.chick.com/reading/books/157/157_08a.asp

_________________
"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Westcott and Hort, what was their purpose.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:49 pm 

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:32 pm
Posts: 14
Location: North Carolina
Baptist1611 wrote:
Marc wrote:
This may be helpful to some wanting to read more about Westcott and Hort from a different perspective... they have a Westcott and Hort Resource Center online, here's the link: http://www.westcotthort.com/

Did you read the stuff on that site? :?
I went to their "Frequently Assaulted Quotes" and looked at it. Their weak attempts to clarify the pathetic heresy of Westcott and Hort are unbelievable. --->
http://www.westcotthort.com/quotes_scripture.html

W&H were two guys who had problems with doctrines on hell, but had no problem swallowing RCC lies about "purgatory." This page shows that the views of Westcott and Hort on fundamental Bible truths are about as far out in left field as you can get --->

http://www.chick.com/reading/books/157/157_08a.asp


Yes I did, but I was more interested in their original letters and stuff, checkout the bookshelf link right above, it has all their published work in PDF format and by reading through them you will see where some people have posted their qoutes way out of context, I always research to the source when possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Westcott and Hort, what was their purpose.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:53 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:45 pm
Posts: 2081
Location: Amarillo, TX
Marc, I would be interested in the results of your research.
Are they heretics or not? Is their doctrine sound or not?

_________________
Pastor Steve Schwenke
Liberty Baptist Church
Amarillo, TX
Psalm 119:45 And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Westcott and Hort, what was their purpose.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:08 pm 

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:32 pm
Posts: 14
Location: North Carolina
Steve Schwenke wrote:
Marc, I would be interested in the results of your research.
Are they heretics or not? Is their doctrine sound or not?



I've only recently started reading through their stuff and I have not found anything earth shattering enough that would make me want to throw away my KJB, I just see people quote derogatory comments all the time, a line here, a line there, I just want to read that line in the context of the entire letter to better understand their point of view.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Westcott and Hort, what was their purpose.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:51 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 3309
Marc wrote:
Baptist1611 wrote:
Marc wrote:
This may be helpful to some wanting to read more about Westcott and Hort from a different perspective... they have a Westcott and Hort Resource Center online, here's the link: http://www.westcotthort.com/

Did you read the stuff on that site?
I went to their "Frequently Assaulted Quotes" and looked at it. Their weak attempts to clarify the pathetic heresy of Westcott and Hort are unbelievable. --->
http://www.westcotthort.com/quotes_scripture.html

W&H were two guys who had problems with doctrines on hell, but had no problem swallowing RCC lies about "purgatory." This page shows that the views of Westcott and Hort on fundamental Bible truths are about as far out in left field as you can get --->

http://www.chick.com/reading/books/157/157_08a.asp


Yes I did, but I was more interested in their original letters and stuff, checkout the bookshelf link right above, it has all their published work in PDF format and by reading through them you will see where some people have posted their qoutes way out of context, I always research to the source when possible.

Marc I did go to their site and I was not impressed. If you check that second link I gave you above it has page-after-page of info on W&H, the book by Dr. Samuel Gipp provides all the references directly to the "source" material. W&H are widely considered by IFB's to be enemies of the truth, in fact -- Hort himself was a proud Socialist who hated America from the get-go (Gipp gives you the letter and the context). Seeing as how you came out of the RCC, I just thought you would appreciate this.

_________________
"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Westcott and Hort, what was their purpose.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:09 pm 

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:32 pm
Posts: 14
Location: North Carolina
Thanks Baptist1611, I must say, reading through some of their letters has been interesting and some scary!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicWrite comments Page 2 of 3   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

9,633,520 Views


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
610nm Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net