Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 2 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Adams Rib ?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:39 am 

Jeff wrote:
And Adam didn't say something like, "This is now curvy thing of my curvy things"

:lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:25 pm 

Jeff wrote:
Buddy may as well write his own version like everyone else seems to be doing nowadays. It could say something like, "God took a curvy thing out of Adam and called it Woman". At least it wouldn't be any more crass than "The Message" and such.

LOL hold on we have another revelation!!! -->

Eve Came From Where?

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/dai ... rom-where/

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:23 pm 

Baptist1611 wrote:
LOL hold on we have another revelation!!! -->

Eve Came From Where?

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/dai ... rom-where/

Fake news permeates the religious world too! Biblical Archaeology meets the National Enquirer, or CNN. :roll:

With Biblical textual scholars such as that, is there any question of how trustworthy the modern versions are?

But the guy who came up with this is a "Distinguished Professor of Biblical Literature and Northwest Semitic Languages at American Jewish University in Bel-Air, California", so he must be right. :lol: At least "buddyt" is in distinguished company.

Just for fun, let's look at what other distinguished Hebrew scholars say:
Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament wrote:
1924 צלע (ṣl‘) I. Assumed root of the following.
1924a סֵלָע (sēlā‘) side, rib (ASV, RSV are almost identical.)
ṣēlā‘ is used once for a man’s side (Gen 2:21f.) and once for the side of a hill, perhaps a ridge or terrace (II Sam 16:13; BDB); elsewhere it is an architectural term. It refers to the sides of an object, e.g. the sides of the ark of the covenant (Ex 25:12, 14). It is also employed to describe a location within a building (cf. Ex 26:35). Further it means a side chamber. There were three levels of these chambers around the temple proper (I Kgs 6:5; Ezk 41:6). It also indicates a board of wood used for a wall or a floor (I Kgs 6:15). And it stands for the leaves of a folding door (I Kgs 6:34). For I Kgs 7:3 KB gives “girder” or “moulding”; but others (as J. Gray) understand that it continues to mean “side chambers” in this passage.

The most crucial passage in which ṣēlā‘ appears is, of course, the one explaining the origin of woman (Gen 2:21f.). God created woman by taking “a rib” from Adam while he was in a very deep sleep (cf. tardērmâ). Conceivably this means that God took a good portion of Adam’s side, since the man considers the woman to be “bone of his bones” and flesh of his flesh (Gen 2:21f.). This picture describes the intimacy between man and woman as they stand equal before God. Since God made the woman, she is responsible to him in worship. She is not a mere extension of man; she possesses a unique individuality in her own right. There is no indication that woman is inferior. On the other hand, since her body is made from man’s, there is a continuity between the two with the result that they can find a fulfilling relationship only in one another, but never with the same intensity in any other part of creation. Therefore woman’s origin makes it possible for a man and a woman to establish a dynamic relationship in which they become “one flesh” (cf. Gen 2:24).

The text of Job 18:12 is debated as to whether the text is ṣēlā‘“ or ṣela‘” (“limping”; Rsv “for his stumbling”). The latter could be “at his side” as Dhorme and ASV take it; but KD rejects this possibility.

Bibliography: Dhorme, E., Job, London: Thomas Nelson, 1967. Renckens, S. J. Henricus, Israel’s Concept of the Beginning, Herder & Herder, 1964.
J.E.H.

Zodihates, The Complete Word Study Dictionary wrote:
ֵצָלע
ṣēlā‛: A feminine noun meaning side, a side room (chamber), a hillside, a wall. It refers to a side or rib from a side of a human body (Gen 2:21-22); or the side of an object (Exo 25:12, Exo 25:14; Exo 26:20). It may in context be translated as hillside, the side of a hill (2Sa 16:13). It may have the sense of side (rooms) or side (chambers) (1Ki 6:5; 1Ki 7:3); or the wing or extension of a building (Eze 41:5). It is taken by some to mean side in Job 18:12 (cf. H6761). It refers to planks or boards, building materials (1Ki 6:15-16); or to sections or leaves of doors (1Ki 6:34).
My understanding of the meaning of the word "side" must have been wrong, but apparently all the previous scholars were wrong also. Our understanding of what the Bible should say becomes more accurate as the centuries pass, thanks to distinguished professors. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:46 pm 

I never knew they regenerate themselves! -->

"God chose from Adam the one bone that could regenerate itself."

https://answersingenesis.org/human-body ... ating-rib/

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:59 pm 

Baptist1611 wrote:
I never knew they regenerate themselves! -->

Doesn't work with barbecued ribs. :(

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 2 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2