Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Renewed or new Covenant
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:16 am 

I recently saw a video explaining that we do not have a new covenant we have a renewed covenant. It appeared to be based on two words ( chodesh or chadash )one meaning to renew and one meaning new. I was wondering if anyone knows about this. So chodesh means new and chadash means to renew. The video says chadash was used in the original
language but later chodesh was used.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Renewed or new Covenant
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:36 pm 

Even if whoever made the video is old enough to have seen the "original" language, I still wouldn't trust their memory after all these centuries. Besides whatever the "original" words supposedly were, there is also the context; and the Bible makes it clear that it is more than a renewed covenant, it is not the same, or according to, the old covenant. It was, at the time Jeremiah wrote, yet to be made. It is a better covenant. It is the "second" covenant, not the first renewed (Hebrews 8:7).
Quote:
[Jer 31:31] Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: [Jer 31:32] Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: [Jer 31:33] But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. [Jer 31:34] And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
Quote:
[Heb 8:4] For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law: [Heb 8:5] Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount. [Heb 8:6] But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. [Heb 8:7] For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. [Heb 8:8] For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: [Heb 8:9] Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. [Heb 8:10] For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: [Heb 8:11] And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. [Heb 8:12] For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. [Heb 8:13] In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.
Quote:
[Heb 12:18] For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest, [Heb 12:19] And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more: [Heb 12:20] (For they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart: [Heb 12:21] And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:) [Heb 12:22] But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, [Heb 12:23] To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, [Heb 12:24] And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.
Just from these references we see the "new covenant" in both the Old and New Testaments. In Hebrews 12:24 the word for "new" is actually νέος (néos) according to my trusty(?) dictionary. In Jer 31:31 the word "new", according to The Complete Word Study Dictionary:
Quote:
ָחָדשׁ
ḥāḏāš: An adjective meaning new, fresh. It is used to describe many different items as renewed or fresh: king over Egypt (Exo 1:8); house (Deu 20:5); covenant (Jer 31:31); heaven and earth (Isa 65:17); wife (Deu 24:5); harvest of grain (Lev 23:16); garment (1Ki 11:29-30); vessel (2Ki 2:20). It is used to indicate something new in an obsolete sense, never seen or done before (Ecc 1:9-10). It refers to a new song of praise God's people will sing to Him (Psa 33:3; Psa 40:3 [4]; Psa 96:1; Psa 98:1; Psa 144:9; Psa 149:1); and to a new spirit that God implants within them (Eze 11:19; Eze 18:31; Eze 36:26).
So apparently it can mean "renew" but, as in English, context is often key to intended meanings.

Another modern work, "The Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament" that is also trusted by modern "scholars" who doubt the preservation of the Bible also treats the "original" meaning as "new":
Quote:
ḥādāsh. New, new thing, fresh. This adjective, usually attributive, describes, as in English, a variety of physical objects (e.g., house, wife, cords, sword, garment, cruse, meal offering, king, gate, etc.). It is also used for non-material things as name (Isa 62:2), song (Ps 149:1), covenant (Jer 31:31), God’s mercies (Lam 3:23), heart, and spirit (Ezk 36:26). While suffering, Job longed for the time when his glory was “fresh” in him (Job 29:20).

I haven't seen the video, but today's Christendom is full of "scholars" looking to come up with some new thing and make themselves look smart by correcting the Bible.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Renewed or new Covenant
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:51 am 

Thank you Jeff. I thought there was something wrong with the video someone showed me. I had never heard of the renewed theory.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]