Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 3 of 3   [ 28 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Refuting the Seventh-day Adventists
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:59 am 

Soldier4Christ wrote:
This may seem like a dumb question because of context, but how would we refute the idea that cannibalism is now acceptable? Men are "creatures" (creations) of God. It was something I thought of today at supper, kind of a temptation.
Would you clarify the temptation part? I'm pretty sure you don't mean cannibalism is a temptation to you. :shock:

Soldier4Christ wrote:
Colossians 2:16 says "Let no man judge you in meat..." 1 Tim. 4:4 says every creature of God is good.
You have to take the Scriptures as a whole, and everything in its context. Just as it's obvious that the command "thou shalt not kill" concerns the murder of people, and not swatting mosquitos, or killing of fish or animals for meat.

I think it's safe to say that what God revealed to Peter is pretty inclusive of what living, breathing creatures He intended to be used as food.
Quote:
[Acts 10:12] Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
People weren't included.

What about the Donner party?

Quote:
To add this thought for the forum, I will make mention of it here: What about drink? "Let no man judge you in... drink..." I personally believe Christians should not drink alcohol, but someone may use this verse to justify it. Any refutations good refutations for that idea?
I don't think the Bible precludes common sense either. The Bible commands us not to be drunk, Ephesians 5:18 for one verse. I don't know at what point a person becomes drunk. When they get a "buzz"? I don't think it necessarily means blind falling-down drunk. Maybe someone else can give a more in-depth answer, but how much good have you ever seen come from drinking? If I'm not mistaken, alcohol can be classified as a poison. Of course there will always be people taking verses out of context, so maybe they'll use Mark 16:18 to excuse drinking like snake handlers do. Or maybe cannibals will take Leviticus 26:29 by itself completely out of context as a command to eat their sons and daughters.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:41 am 

Quote:
Would you clarify the temptation part? I'm pretty sure you don't mean cannibalism is a temptation to you. :shock:

Not a temptation to commit cannibalism, but a temptation in the sense that it was something that came to mind. My thought was "does it really mean every creature?" (Almost like: "Yea, hath God said?") I read in another thread that if it didn't, we'd have to assume "all Scripture," means "some Scripture." Like I said, this was kind of a silly (or dumb) thing to bring up, but I did anyhow. I guess it could be a potential argument that a pro-dietary law person could bring up though.

You are right about "thou shalt not kill," but to add to the forum, are we allowed to eat things that die of themselves? From my understanding the OT forbid this. What about the NT? (I'm not saying we should eat dead people, that's sounds like something of the occult, but what about animals that die of themselves, can we eat them?)

Thanks again for your response.

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." – Ephesians 6:11

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:09 pm 

Soldier4Christ wrote:
what about animals that die of themselves, can we eat them?
The verse that comes to my mind is:
Quote:
[1Cor 10:23] All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.
I don't think it will hurt you spiritually as long as you eat it in faith (Romans 14). While I've always taken the words "expedient" and "edifying" to mean in a spiritual sense, I think maybe they could apply in a physical sense also. It may be legal for me to eat raw beef that has gone unrefrigerated for a couple of days, but it may not be expedient and my body may not be edified.

I believe there were physical as well as spiritual reasons for many of the OT laws. For instance, the Israelites wandering in the wilderness didn't have unlimited access to refrigerators or coolers packed with ice, so there were more rules about what could be eaten and when. So it's another case where even though something is legal for us, common sense should still apply.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:05 pm 

Thanks. There's also Acts 15:29

Quote:
that ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." – Ephesians 6:11

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:14 pm 

There is a free ebook here: http://www.wayoflife.org/free_ebooks/se ... entism.php

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Ellen G. White vs. Joseph Smith
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:23 pm 

The Seventh-day Adventists share many striking similarities to the Mormons, and I wanted to discuss them here in this thread.

In terms of theological points, both the SDA's and LDS's teach the importance of the 10 Commandments (even the Sabbath), tithing 10% of one's income, and abstinence from tea / coffee, to name a few.

Both Mrs. White and Joseph Smith came up with some peculiar doctrines of there being either moon people (who dressed like quakers), or people who live on Jupiter or Saturn.

Here is a link describing many of the other similarities between the two of their writings.

http://www.1timothy4-13.com/files/bible/sda_vs.html

Coincidence? I think not! They both had to have been inspired by the same spirit, the god of this world!!

Discuss.

TOPIC MERGED - ADMIN.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ellen G. White vs. Joseph Smith
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:16 pm 

Which picture is of Ellen and which is of Joseph?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ellen G. White vs. Joseph Smith
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:42 pm 

Ellen White is first, Joseph Smith is second.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 3 of 3   [ 28 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3