Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: What Mormons Believe
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:55 am 

After hours of personal research, I found that although there are many different charts in existence showing what Mormons believe, many were too confusing, not labeled properly, or were factually incorrect. In designing this chart I wanted to do a few things:

1. Make sure it is factually correct from a Mormon perspective

2. Make sure that it is visually appealing to capture interest

3. Make sure it explains everything itself and is easy to understand.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What Mormons Believe
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:43 pm 

Well first of all I can see you put a lot of work into that -- and it shows!
Nice colors, easy to read.

Is it finished? As a suggestion, I think your piece should do more to openly condemn Mormonism because what Mormons believe is a dangerous lie.

For example you could re-title it "Mormonism vs. Biblical Christianity, then add verses from the KJB to counter the dangerous doctrines in your chart.

Otherwise, by making a "neutral" presentation, it seems to me the only thing this artwork is doing is promoting Mormonism, however unintentional that may be. :)

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:12 pm 

Under the "Mortal Life" section I would add something about what Mormons believe they need to do in the present life to be saved, or to maximize their future rewards, or however they view it. For example from https://www.lds.org/scriptures/gs/salvation
Quote:
To be saved from both physical and spiritual death. All people will be saved from physical death by the grace of God, through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Each individual can also be saved from spiritual death as well by the grace of God, through faith in Jesus Christ. This faith is manifested in a life of obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel and service to Christ.
This would help to show the contrast with Biblical Christianity.

Under the "Eternal Life>Celestial Kingdom" section, the distinction between the three sections, particularly 2 and 3, and who will fall into each category isn't clear to me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:46 pm 

It may be hard to give much detail and keep it simple at the same time, but I think it's also important to specify things like who the Jesus of Mormonism is, as faith in a false Christ (brother of the devil) won't save you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:02 pm 

Here -- maybe something like this,
as you scroll down it covers several doctrine comparisons --->

CHART COMPARING MORMONISM AND OTHER CULTS TO CHRISTIANITY

http://www.soundchristian.com/chart.html

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:35 pm 

Baptist1611 wrote:
Otherwise, by making a "neutral" presentation, it seems to me the only thing this artwork is doing is promoting Mormonism, however unintentional that may be. :)
I think that's a good point. If someone gave me a tract like that without explanation, I would be confused as to it's purpose, and I think I would assume it's trying to convince me to become a Mormon. I had to go to the Ready to Harvest website to get a better idea. This is one purpose statement:
Quote:
To give valuable and unique information on many denominations of Christianity and other religions to enable Christians to understand them and their corresponding world views. This will in turn prepare Christians to better relate to those who hold such views and reach them with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
So it's kind of a cheat sheet for those who may have opportunity to witness to Mormons? You don't want it to be offensive to Mormons so that they can state they agree with it, and then give you the opportunity to go over each point?

A comment on your website: I think it would be helpful to have the texts of your Bible tracts and other resources available online to make it easier to read so people can see if they want to download and print it. Maybe someone unsaved who wouldn't download it would read it online.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:36 pm 

Thanks everyone for the comments. I do have tracts on the ready to Harvest Website, but this is not really a tract. I guess I see it as a a fix and upgrade to exisitng charts. See CARM's chart here for example: http://carm.org/mormon-plan-of-eternal-progression

It is mostly for use alongside a presentation of Mormonism- so it is not to be a complete reference, though I do want it to be as accurate as possible. I do want Mormons to agree with it. Actually I hope they use it, and then come to my website and read the tracts.

Jeff wrote:
Under the "Eternal Life>Celestial Kingdom" section, the distinction between the three sections, particularly 2 and 3, and who will fall into each category isn't clear to me.

It's not actually clear to Mormons either. I studied and it seems like they don't know what the precise distinctions are.

Baptist1611 wrote:
Here -- maybe something like this,
as you scroll down it covers several doctrine comparisons --->

CHART COMPARING MORMONISM AND OTHER CULTS TO CHRISTIANITY

http://www.soundchristian.com/chart.html

I like that, and actually intend to make something like that but more presentable on the website in the future. However, I don't think it is exactly what this chart is intended to be. I think I may, based on feedback, make a complementary chart that as more apologetic in nature more than merely descriptive.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:45 pm 

There are actually a lot of similarities between Mormonism and Seventh-day Adventism!! I was an Adventist.

Here's a link for you to ponder the similarities between Smith and White. Enjoy. :D

Code:
http://www.1timothy4-13.com/files/bible/sda_vs.html 

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." – Ephesians 6:11

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]