Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 4 of 5   [ 50 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cult Doctrines: Mormonism
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:00 am 

bryan durel wrote:
I have a right to vote or abstain from voting if i want to. I want MY christian beliefs represented at the highest office in the country. America may not be a christian country constitutionally but it is still a christian country demographically speaking and I think that counts for a lot.

I don't know how you plan to have YOUR christian beliefs represented at the highest office in the country by abstaining from voting. It doesn't seem as if it's worked too well, unless you really think Obama represents YOUR christian values better than anyone else.

I don't know that we're any longer a Christian nation demographically, and if we are we won't be for long when we sit back and let Obama get reelected. Romney is not a Christian, but at least he would have been MUCH more likely to uphold the constitution and protect our freedom as Christians than Obama who is an enemy of the constitution and Christianity.

Is abstaining from voting the equivalent of going on a hunger strike? Hunger strikes never made any sense to me either, I never understood what people gain by harming themselves.

But you're right, you have a right to abstain from voting. However some day you may no longer have a right to vote.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:29 pm 

bryan durel wrote:
I have a right to vote or abstain from voting if i want to. I want MY christian beliefs represented at the highest office in the country. America may not be a christian country constitutionally but it is still a christian country demographically speaking and I think that counts for a lot.

I disagree.
I think it is the responsibility and duty of every American citizen to vote. You don't have the "right" to stand back and do nothing while the nation goes head-first over the cliff.

"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

I'll admit - we didn't have a great candidate this time around...but my grandfather was complaining about the EXACT SAME THING we are complaining about in 1984. To be honest we have not had a GREAT candidate on the ballot for at LEAST 50 years. It still does not remove our responsibility to vote. When we stop voting we do two things:

1. We let the REALLY bad guys in

2. We set the tone for a dictatorship

PS - The president is not "the highest office in the land." That is what FDR made it out to be, but the Constitution says differently. The President has no power outside of what Congress delegates to him. The President is to merely EXECUTE the laws Congress passes. Unfortunately, Congress has abdicated too much of its power to the White House. But the Congress controls the spending (at least it is supposed to.)

Psalm 119:45 And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:09 pm 

Steve Schwenke wrote:
"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

GREAT POINT!!! :P

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:21 pm 

Steve Schwenke wrote:
I disagree.
I think it is the responsibility and duty of every American citizen to vote. You don't have the "right" to stand back and do nothing while the nation goes head-first over the cliff.

Does everything always go around full circle? In nations that don't elect their leaders, the populace will fight for the right to vote. When/if they get that right they will proudly exercise that right.

In this country we've had the right/responsibility all our lives. Apparently we're so used to it we're now defending our "right" NOT to vote.

I've stated before I'm generally against "get out the vote" campaigns because people shouldn't vote ignorantly, only those who are knowledgeable should vote, but I also think it's one of our duties as Christians to be knowledgeable.

If any would not vote, neither should he complain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:56 pm 

I had a high school instructor who always asked the question "did you vote in the last election" when someone began complaining of what the government was or wasn't doing, etc. If they said "yes", he would listen. If they said "no" he told them they had no right to complain and to keep quiet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:37 pm 

organgrinder wrote:
I had a high school instructor who always asked the question "did you vote in the last election" when someone began complaining of what the government was or wasn't doing, etc. If they said "yes", he would listen. If they said "no" he told them they had no right to complain and to keep quiet.

:D Pretty much makes sense to me.

I do understand the the reluctance to vote for Romney (I tended to call him "Obamney" myself), but when you see what the alternative was how could you not have voted for him? Just to have a president who would favor Israel over Hamas and Iran would have meant a lot to me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Refuting Mormonism
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:44 pm 

There are aspects about this religion that seem like it could be true, aspects that seem to even coincide with what I learned from KJV Baptist sects. Let's discuss why or why not what they teach is true.

It's another one of those things "study to shew thyself approved..."

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." – Ephesians 6:11

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Refuting Mormonism
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:25 pm 

Very strange doctrine!
It's been discussed but it was a while ago -->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=202

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Refuting Mormonism
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:35 pm 

Thanks bro.

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." – Ephesians 6:11

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:51 pm 

I've been kind of looking into Mormonism, and I have questions for you guys about them.

Concerning Paul in 1 Corinthians 15. He spoke on two points that Mormons argue is in their favor. Baptism for the dead, and three degrees of glory. Paul spoke in verse 29 about basically "Why are they baptizing for the dead if they don't believe in the resurrection?" The other thing is Paul speaking of a glory of the sun, moon, and stars.

What do you guys think about those verses.

The other deal is that we know God's word is preserved. The Bible promises it in multiple places, Psalm 12:6-7, the words of Jesus "Heaven and earth shall pass away, my words shall not pass away," Isaiah 40:8, etc. So basically, you have to pick a side. Either parts of the Bible are unreliable or corrupted, and God was unable to preserve His words, and now you need to also believe the Book of Mormon... or Mormons don't believe the Bible and want to direct you to their Scriptures.

Another thing I found similar to their beliefs to KJV Believer's is their view of the Plan of Salvation. Didn't we discuss we don't immediately goto heaven or hell? Well the Mormons too believe this. They believe we goto Paradise or hell (spirit prison). They also believe, as 1 Peter 3 says, Jesus ministered to those spirits in prison. Can you guys shed some light on this area also?

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 4 of 5   [ 50 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next