Change font size


Post a new topicWrite comments Page 3 of 5   [ 50 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Cult Doctrines: Mormonism
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:24 am 

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:45 am
Posts: 45
Baptist1611 wrote:
Bro. Parrish wrote:
...they use the same terms we do, but the concepts behind the terms are vastly different. This is what makes Mormon doctrine so dangerous.
Maybe that's what makes a lot of these false teachings dangerous? -- I see the same kind of thing with the Jehovah's Witness teachings and others. It's not easy for people to recognize a false teaching when they are using the exact same words and names (like soul, spirit, Jesus, Son of God, Father, Diety, etc etc) but in reality -- they are peddling a strange and different Jesus! :?

I tell people that Mormons teach Jesus and Satan were likely brothers, and they are like, "HUH? WHAT???" Lots of smoke and mirrors here -- sometimes I think if we could just pull the cover off Mormonism and show it for what it is, people would be shocked!



This is the main reason why when we are witnessing to those who belong to a false religion, that we must from the onset of the meeting, make it known exactly what we mean by these terminology. When the meanings are understood by the other, only then can we proceed.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cult Doctrines: Mormonism
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:49 pm 

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:44 pm
Posts: 68
the only thing they got right is the idea of eventually populating outer space. But that doesn't happen until eternity officially begins after the 1,000 year reign. God didn't make all those stars and planets just for show and to demonstrate his power.....


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cult Doctrines: Mormonism
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:15 am 

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:45 am
Posts: 45
Majestic Judah wrote:
the only thing they got right is the idea of eventually populating outer space. But that doesn't happen until eternity officially begins after the 1,000 year reign. God didn't make all those stars and planets just for show and to demonstrate his power.....


If my memory serves me, I believe the Bible says the stars will fall after the tribulation. 1/3 of them, along with the sun and moon, will be smitten.

But then maybe this is figuratively speaking... ;)


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cult Doctrines: Mormonism
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:28 pm 

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:44 pm
Posts: 68
Abram99 wrote:
Majestic Judah wrote:
the only thing they got right is the idea of eventually populating outer space. But that doesn't happen until eternity officially begins after the 1,000 year reign. God didn't make all those stars and planets just for show and to demonstrate his power.....


If my memory serves me, I believe the Bible says the stars will fall after the tribulation. 1/3 of them, along with the sun and moon, will be smitten.

But then maybe this is figuratively speaking... ;)



The stars you are referencing are angels falling to earth.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cult Doctrines: Mormonism
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:41 am 

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:45 am
Posts: 45
Majestic Judah wrote:
Abram99 wrote:
Majestic Judah wrote:
the only thing they got right is the idea of eventually populating outer space. But that doesn't happen until eternity officially begins after the 1,000 year reign. God didn't make all those stars and planets just for show and to demonstrate his power.....


If my memory serves me, I believe the Bible says the stars will fall after the tribulation. 1/3 of them, along with the sun and moon, will be smitten.

But then maybe this is figuratively speaking... ;)



The stars you are referencing are angels falling to earth.


That's interesting. I cannot find falling angels in any commentary though. Barnes Commentary says this:
The darkening of the heavenly luminaries is everywhere an emblem of any great calamity - as if the light of the sun, moon, and stars should be put out. There is no certain evidence that this refers to rulers, as many have supposed, or to anything that would particularly affect the government as such. The meaning is, that calamity would come as if darkness should spread over the sun, the moon, and the stars, leaving the world in gloom.

Clarkes Commentary:: The third part of the sun - moon - stars, was smitten - Supposed to mean Rome, with her senates, consuls, etc., eclipsed by Odoacer, king of the Heruli, and Theodoric, king of the Ostrogoths, in the fifth century. But all this is uncertain.

Wesley's notes: And the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so that the third part of them was darkened. By the sun, moon, and stars, may be understood the men that live under them, who are so overwhelmed with calamities in those days of darkness, that they can no longer enjoy the light of heaven:

Scofield Notes merely says, Margin Angel for Rev. 8:12

Anyway, the mormons won't be inheriting a planet of their own.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cult Doctrines: Mormonism
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:02 am 

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:46 am
Posts: 7
Bro. Parrish thanks. this was a very good guide. I've been reading a lot about Mormomism as of late and especially since Mitt Romney was one. One of the biggest confusions that I've had is whether or not Mitt would put his hand on the Bible or the Book of Mormon when he would be sworn into office (well if he had won). The more I looked into it, the more I felt that Mitt didnt represent me and had nothing to do with Christianity and I couldn't really vote this election year.

I'm going to point a few people from my weekly bible study group to this page.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cult Doctrines: Mormonism
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:16 am 

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:46 am
Posts: 7
Thanks Bro.Parrish

Bro. Parrish wrote:
Abram99 wrote:
Bro. Parrish wrote:
I used to be able to teach them that Jesus is God out of their own Book of Mormon, (that would really freak them out), but I'm rusty now...


Please tell us how you did it!


Well brother, like I said, I'm a bit rusty; but when I witness to Mormons or other cult members I always focus on Jesus Christ. So when they come around to the house and start talking about their "program," I always take immediate control of the conversation and speak to them very sincerely, something like,
"Look there is no way I could ever accept Mormonism, because you Mormons don't understand the Deity of Christ."

Now this rejection always throws them off, because I have a very aggressive way of dealing with them; it's not rude, but I do control the discussion.

So they will usually try and say something like,
"Well, we do believe Jesus is the Son of God just like you do."

And then I will reply and say,
"No sir; you don't believe Jesus is Eternal God."

And they will hem-haw around and try and run away from that, they might say,
"Well sir, we believe in the Diety of Christ, and that Jesus is the Son of God, yes we do!"

So you have to nail them down on it;
"But you don't believe that JESUS CHRIST IS THE ETERNAL GOD."

And eventually, they will admit they don't believe that.
At that point, I open their little Book of Mormon to the first page, the title page and show them this...

An Account Written by the Hand of Mormon upon Plates Taken from the Plates of Nephi...

"An abridgment taken from the Book of Ether also, which is a record of the people of Jared, who were scattered at the time the Lord confounded the language of the people, when they were building a tower to get to heaven—Which is to show unto the remnant of the house of Israel what great things the Lord hath done for their fathers; and that they may know the covenants of the Lord, that they are not cast off forever—And also
to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations..."

Now that's about where I stop, because they are going to be very upset when you show them this. I showed that to a Mormon missionary one time and he was stunned!

And of course, they are going to want to explain why they don't believe their own Book of Mormon, but I don't allow that; I just tell them they are confused and I hope they realize one day that salvation is not by works; it's not serving a mission, or marrying in the temple, or following the rules of Mormonism, etc., it's in the shed blood of Jesus Christ the Eternal God. (Rom.1:20, Eph. 3:11, 1 Tim. 1:17, etc.)

I calmly and plainly tell them they are lost in a cult, they are decieved and on their way to eternal punishment in hell because they are rejecting the Jesus of the Bible. And I tell them if they ever want to know more about it they can come back to my doorstep and ask me about it, but I do not allow them in my home because I believe they are presenting another gospel. (2 John 1:10-11).

I don't argue with these people. I do not advocate long discussions with them; you get on the wagon and you know exactly when to get off the wagon. I just tell them they don't have anything I need, and then I calmly close the door. I reject their presentation. They usually don't try to argue they just leave; and my whole effort with this is simply planting a seed of doubt in their minds about their doctrine. Mormonism is a very complicated maze; they use the same terms we do, but the concepts behind the terms are vastly different. This is what makes Mormon doctrine so dangerous.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cult Doctrines: Mormonism
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:06 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:13 pm
Posts: 2290
bryan durel wrote:
The more I looked into it, the more I felt that Mitt didnt represent me and had nothing to do with Christianity and I couldn't really vote this election year.


God never promised us Christian leadership. Paul wasn't under Christian leadership when he wrote Romans 13, or when he said we should pray for our leaders so that we can live in peace. It wasn't Christian leaders who defended and protected Paul various places in Acts.

What we do have here is a privilege to vote and to have some say in who our leaders are (though God does have the ultimate say). We won't avail ourselves of this privilege and responsibility if we vote only for fundamental Bible believing Christians, we aren't likely to find those running for office who believe exactly as we do. What we can do is vote for those who will come closest to upholding the values we have and who would most likely protect our liberty and out peace. In my opinion, to not vote is a cop-out. In effect you helped reelect the worst candidate possible. While writing in someone who you agree more with, as some did with Ron Paul, would have had the same effect of helping Obama get reelected, at least in my opinion it would have taken more integrity.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cult Doctrines: Mormonism
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:13 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:45 pm
Posts: 2081
Location: Amarillo, TX
Jeff, I agree with you. If we fail to vote - even if it is "the lesser of two evils" we will eventually lose the freedom and privilege to vote...period. It is our duty and responsibility as American citizens to vote, even if it is only to keep the worst guy out....that's the ONLY reason I voted for Romney.

_________________
Pastor Steve Schwenke
Liberty Baptist Church
Amarillo, TX
Psalm 119:45 And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cult Doctrines: Mormonism
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:14 am 

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:46 am
Posts: 7
I have a right to vote or abstain from voting if i want to. I want MY christian beliefs represented at the highest office in the country. America may not be a christian country constitutionally but it is still a christian country demographically speaking and I think that counts for a lot.

Jeff wrote:
bryan durel wrote:
The more I looked into it, the more I felt that Mitt didnt represent me and had nothing to do with Christianity and I couldn't really vote this election year.


God never promised us Christian leadership. Paul wasn't under Christian leadership when he wrote Romans 13, or when he said we should pray for our leaders so that we can live in peace. It wasn't Christian leaders who defended and protected Paul various places in Acts.

What we do have here is a privilege to vote and to have some say in who our leaders are (though God does have the ultimate say). We won't avail ourselves of this privilege and responsibility if we vote only for fundamental Bible believing Christians, we aren't likely to find those running for office who believe exactly as we do. What we can do is vote for those who will come closest to upholding the values we have and who would most likely protect our liberty and out peace. In my opinion, to not vote is a cop-out. In effect you helped reelect the worst candidate possible. While writing in someone who you agree more with, as some did with Ron Paul, would have had the same effect of helping Obama get reelected, at least in my opinion it would have taken more integrity.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicWrite comments Page 3 of 5   [ 50 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

9,375,176 Views


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
610nm Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net