Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 2 of 5   [ 50 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cult Doctrines: Mormonism
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:12 pm 

Baptist1611 wrote:
Cults and world religions are ALWAYS based on salvation by works!

This is true.

Baptist1611 wrote:
By the way I was meaning to ask -- have any of you guys ever known a Mormon personally?

Yes, I lost a Sunday School student to the Mormons one year.
She was in my college and career class, about 30 years old. Always felt kind of bad about it.
But I don't think it was my fault.

Jeff wrote:
Our present church building is directly across the street from a Mormon church (or temple, or whatever) and we have a big cross aimed right at them.

LOL, love that sense of humor Jeff.
I'm with you brother, I'll take that old rugged cross over anything Joseph Smith ever did.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:14 pm 

Bro. Parrish wrote:
Yes, I lost a Sunday School student to the Mormons one year.
She was in my college and career class, about 30 years old. Always felt kind of bad about it.
But I don't think it was my fault.

What? How did that happen. :| :| :|

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:59 pm 

Well, it was a long time ago. As I recall, she worked with several of these young men who were Mormons, and they basically beguiled her. She was about 30 years old and I guess her biological clock was ticking. She couldn't find a young man in our church who really liked her, so I think that may have had a lot to do with it. They started inviting her to their social events and she liked that. She was pretty smart, she knew the doctrinal problems. I just think she just allowed herself to be misled. This verse in Galatians comes to mind...

"O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?" Gal. 3:1

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:08 pm 

Okay I see your point -- I guess in a situation like that all you can do is pray for her and try to talk her out of it. :( :( :(

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:39 pm 

Several of us tried to talk to her about it, but she kept getting deeper and deeper into their program. I had one of the ladies at our church to talk with her about it, but that didn't help either. Then she started telling everyone in our college and career group that she had decided to join the Mormons. She started coming over to our house and wanting to talk to us about her decision. At that point I stopped letting her in our home, because I felt she was bringing another gospel and I consider Mormonism to be a type of cult. I do not advise allowing Mormons into your home.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:41 am 

Bro. Parrish wrote:
I used to be able to teach them that Jesus is God out of their own Book of Mormon, (that would really freak them out), but I'm rusty now...

Please tell us how you did it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:18 am 

Bro. Parrish wrote:
Several of us tried to talk to her about it, but she kept getting deeper and deeper into their program. I had one of the ladies at our church to talk with her about it, but that didn't help either. Then she started telling everyone in our college and career group that she had decided to join the Mormons. She started coming over to our house and wanting to talk to us about her decision. At that point I stopped letting her in our home, because I felt she was bringing another gospel and I consider Mormonism to be a type of cult. I do not advise allowing Mormons into your home.

They do bring another spirit into our homes. I have allowed lds missionaries into my home for the purpose of witnesing to them. After they leave and sometimes for a couple of days afterwards, my family and I will start arguing and getting aggressive with the yelling and stuff. Then a friend and her husband mentioned the same thing happens to them after they have had lds in their home.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:39 pm 

Abram99 wrote:
Bro. Parrish wrote:
I used to be able to teach them that Jesus is God out of their own Book of Mormon, (that would really freak them out), but I'm rusty now...

Well brother, like I said, I'm a bit rusty; but when I witness to Mormons or other cult members I always focus on Jesus Christ. So when they come around to the house and start talking about their "program," I always take immediate control of the conversation and speak to them very sincerely, something like,
"Look there is no way I could ever accept Mormonism, because you Mormons don't understand the Deity of Christ."

Now this rejection always throws them off, because I have a very aggressive way of dealing with them; it's not rude, but I do control the discussion.

So they will usually try and say something like,
"Well, we do believe Jesus is the Son of God just like you do."

And then I will reply and say,
"No sir; you don't believe Jesus is Eternal God."

And they will hem-haw around and try and run away from that, they might say,
"Well sir, we believe in the Diety of Christ, and that Jesus is the Son of God, yes we do!"

So you have to nail them down on it;
"But you don't believe that JESUS CHRIST IS THE ETERNAL GOD."

And eventually, they will admit they don't believe that.
At that point, I open their little Book of Mormon to the first page, the title page and show them this...

An Account Written by the Hand of Mormon upon Plates Taken from the Plates of Nephi...

"An abridgment taken from the Book of Ether also, which is a record of the people of Jared, who were scattered at the time the Lord confounded the language of the people, when they were building a tower to get to heaven—Which is to show unto the remnant of the house of Israel what great things the Lord hath done for their fathers; and that they may know the covenants of the Lord, that they are not cast off forever—And also
to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations..."

Now that's about where I stop, because they are going to be very upset when you show them this. I showed that to a Mormon missionary one time and he was stunned!

And of course, they are going to want to explain why they don't believe their own Book of Mormon, but I don't allow that; I just tell them they are confused and I hope they realize one day that salvation is not by works; it's not serving a mission, or marrying in the temple, or following the rules of Mormonism, etc., it's in the shed blood of Jesus Christ the Eternal God. (Rom.1:20, Eph. 3:11, 1 Tim. 1:17, etc.)

I calmly and plainly tell them they are lost in a cult, they are decieved and on their way to eternal punishment in hell because they are rejecting the Jesus of the Bible. And I tell them if they ever want to know more about it they can come back to my doorstep and ask me about it, but I do not allow them in my home because I believe they are presenting another gospel. (2 John 1:10-11).

I don't argue with these people. I do not advocate long discussions with them; you get on the wagon and you know exactly when to get off the wagon. I just tell them they don't have anything I need, and then I calmly close the door. I reject their presentation. They usually don't try to argue they just leave; and my whole effort with this is simply planting a seed of doubt in their minds about their doctrine. Mormonism is a very complicated maze; they use the same terms we do, but the concepts behind the terms are vastly different. This is what makes Mormon doctrine so dangerous.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:17 am 

Bro. Parrish wrote:
Abram99 wrote:
Bro. Parrish wrote:

Well brother, like I said, I'm a bit rusty; but when I witness to Mormons or other cult members I always focus on Jesus Christ. So when they come around to the house and start talking about their "program," I always take immediate control of the conversation and speak to them very sincerely, something like,
"Look there is no way I could ever accept Mormonism, because you Mormons don't understand the Deity of Christ."

Now this rejection always throws them off, because I have a very aggressive way of dealing with them; it's not rude, but I do control the discussion.

So they will usually try and say something like,
"Well, we do believe Jesus is the Son of God just like you do."

And then I will reply and say,
"No sir; you don't believe Jesus is Eternal God."

And they will hem-haw around and try and run away from that, they might say,
"Well sir, we believe in the Diety of Christ, and that Jesus is the Son of God, yes we do!"

So you have to nail them down on it;
"But you don't believe that JESUS CHRIST IS THE ETERNAL GOD."

And eventually, they will admit they don't believe that.
At that point, I open their little Book of Mormon to the first page, the title page and show them this...

An Account Written by the Hand of Mormon upon Plates Taken from the Plates of Nephi...

"An abridgment taken from the Book of Ether also, which is a record of the people of Jared, who were scattered at the time the Lord confounded the language of the people, when they were building a tower to get to heaven—Which is to show unto the remnant of the house of Israel what great things the Lord hath done for their fathers; and that they may know the covenants of the Lord, that they are not cast off forever—And also
to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations..."

Now that's about where I stop, because they are going to be very upset when you show them this. I showed that to a Mormon missionary one time and he was stunned!

And of course, they are going to want to explain why they don't believe their own Book of Mormon, but I don't allow that; I just tell them they are confused and I hope they realize one day that salvation is not by works; it's not serving a mission, or marrying in the temple, or following the rules of Mormonism, etc., it's in the shed blood of Jesus Christ the Eternal God. (Rom.1:20, Eph. 3:11, 1 Tim. 1:17, etc.)

I calmly and plainly tell them they are lost in a cult, they are decieved and on their way to eternal punishment in hell because they are rejecting the Jesus of the Bible. And I tell them if they ever want to know more about it they can come back to my doorstep and ask me about it, but I do not allow them in my home because I believe they are presenting another gospel. (2 John 1:10-11).

I don't argue with these people. I do not advocate long discussions with them; you get on the wagon and you know exactly when to get off the wagon. I just tell them they don't have anything I need, and then I calmly close the door. I reject their presentation. They usually don't try to argue they just leave; and my whole effort with this is simply planting a seed of doubt in their minds about their doctrine. Mormonism is a very complicated maze; they use the same terms we do, but the concepts behind the terms are vastly different. This is what makes Mormon doctrine so dangerous.

Thank you for that great post. I have always known that trying to discuss any of their doctrines is a waste of time since the missionaries are trained to deal with such discussions and certain questions that may come up. They are certainly good at derailing the conversation and changing the subject.

Your method, Bro Parrish is excellent. I will certainly try your advice. In my area we get a lot of religious solicitors. I used to let them inside my home, but now my porch will have to do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:31 am 

Bro. Parrish wrote:
...they use the same terms we do, but the concepts behind the terms are vastly different. This is what makes Mormon doctrine so dangerous.
Maybe that's what makes a lot of these false teachings dangerous? -- I see the same kind of thing with the Jehovah's Witness teachings and others. It's not easy for people to recognize a false teaching when they are using the exact same words and names (like soul, spirit, Jesus, Son of God, Father, Diety, etc etc) but in reality -- they are peddling a strange and different Jesus! :?

I tell people that Mormons teach Jesus and Satan were likely brothers, and they are like, "HUH? WHAT???" Lots of smoke and mirrors here -- sometimes I think if we could just pull the cover off Mormonism and show it for what it is, people would be shocked!

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 2 of 5   [ 50 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next