Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Cult Doctrines: Mormonism
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:55 pm 

Cult Doctrines:
Mormons, "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints,"
LDS Church

Founder: Joseph Smith, Jr.

Overview
According to his own account (Pearl of Great Price, Joseph Smith - History 1:29-54), Joseph Smith was paid a bedside visit by the angel Moroni in 1823. Moroni, who professed to be the glorified son of a man named Mormon (who had been dead 1400 years), told Joe about a book of golden plates which contained "the fulness of the everlasting Gospel." This book was said to have been buried at Cumorah Hill, near Palmyra, New York, some 1400 years earlier by the man named Mormon. Four years later (1827), Joe supposedly dug up the golden plates along with a gigantic pair of spectacles which he called "the Urim and Thummim." The spectacles were for translating the hieroglyphics on the plates. As of 2008, there were around 52,686 missionaries serving at 348 mission sites. The Book of Mormon contains many plagiarisms of the King James English (at least 25,000 words). This is strange since the plates were supposed to have been in the ground many centuries before the King James Bible was completed in 1611...

The Deity of Man Promoted
Mormons teach that man can become God, and that God was once a man:

"God himself, the Father of us all, is a glorified, exalted immortal resurrected man!" (Bruce McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, pp. 322-23, 517, 643)
"...God himself was once as we are now and is an exalted man and sits enthroned in yonder heavens..." (Journal of Discourses, V6, P3, 1844)
"As man is, God once was: as God is, man may become." (Lorenzo Snow, quoted in Milton R. Hunter, the Gospel Through the Ages, pp. 105-106)

This is plain and simple heresy. Nowhere does the Bible say or imply that God was ever a man, or that man can become God! Malachi 3:6 says, "For I am the LORD, I change not..." How could this be true if God was once a man? Genesis 1:1 states that God existed "in the beginning" before man was ever created. John 4:24 states that God is a "spirit," and Jesus tells us in John 1:18 that no man has seen God at any time. Numbers 23:19 says that "God is not a man that he should lie; neither the son of man that he should repent." God has always been God, and no one has ever "become" God.

Deity of Jesus Christ Denied

The Deity of Jesus Christ is a fundamental doctrine of Christianity, yet the Mormons deny this truth. Exalting man to "god status" is apparently alright, but Jesus Christ is not acknowledged as the eternal Son of God in the Mormon church. The Mormon Jesus was a preexisting spirit who was exalted, just as Mormon followers hope to be exalted someday.

God is a Trinity (I Jn. 5:7), and the second Member of that Trinity is the Lord Jesus Christ. John 1:1 says that "the Word was God," and John 1:14 tells us that "the Word was made flesh." Jesus Christ is the Word incarnate, and John 1:1 tells us that the Word was God; so Jesus Christ is God.

Jesus allowed Thomas to address Him as "My Lord and my God" in John 20:28. In Isaiah 9:6, He is called "The mighty God" and "The everlasting Father," and we read in Micah 5:2 that Jesus is "from everlasting."

Our Lord allowed people to worship him in John 10:38 and in Matthew 14:33, and since He is "God with us" (Mat. 1:23) He also has power to forgive sins (Mk. 2:5). Jesus Christ is clearly Deity, yet this doctrine is denied by the Mormons.

Multiple Authorities

The Bible declares, "To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them." (Isa. 8:20) However, the Mormon Church claims that other writings, such as the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith's writings are also authoritative. In fact, Joseph Smith taught his people to doubt the accuracy of the Bible: "...it was apparent that many important points touching the salvation of men, had been taken from the Bible, or lost before it was compiled." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 10)

Mormon Writings Support Polygamy

"...if any man espouse a virgin, and desire to espouse another, and the first give her consent, and if he espouse the second, and they are virgins, and have vowed to no other man, then he is justified; he cannot commit adultery...And if he have ten virgins given unto him by this law, he cannot commit adultery." (Doctrines and Covenants, 132:61, 62)

Jesus Christ held a slightly different view (Mark 10:6- 9). There is no way a man can be "one flesh" with more than one woman. A man and his wife are supposed to picture Christ and his church (Eph. 5:23-32), but this symbolism is shattered by the Mormon heresy of Polygamy.

True Church Theory

The Mormon book, The Pearl of Great Price, claims that all other Christian groups are "corrupt" and are an "abomination" in God's sight (Joseph Smith, 2:19). Such claims as this are based on the unscriptural assumption that the Lord Jesus Christ has a specific religious organization on the earth today, complete with a name, a membership, and a leadership, which makes up His "true church." This doctrine is found nowhere in God's word. Everyone who has received Christ as their Saviour is a member of His church, which is a spiritual body of born-again believers (Eph. 4:4; 5:23-32; Col. 1:18-24; Heb. 12:23; Rev. 19:7; 5:9-10; 21:9).

Other False Teachings

The Mormons deny the Trinity and the existence of a literal burning Hell, yet they promote polytheism (many gods), baptism for the dead, and the notion that Jesus and Satan were originally spirit brothers! Friend, make no mistake about it--Mormonism is a dangerous cult. In the eyes of man, the Mormons seem very respectable, but the light of God's word reveals the true wolves behind the sheep clothing. Jesus said, "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." (Mat. 7:15) Don't look at their nice families, their clean-cut hair, and their friendly "missionaries." LOOK AT THEIR DOCTRINES! (I Tim. 4:1)

There is no way to cover all of the Mormon heresies in a tract this size. For further reading, we recommend our publication, The Bible Believer's Handbook of Heresies, which sheds light on many of the heresies being taught today in the name of our Saviour Jesus Christ.

Salvation through Works

Mormons believe that one's salvation is based on such good works as baptism, good deeds, missionary work, and following Mormon teachings. In The Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, justification by faith in Jesus Christ is called a "pernicious doctrine" twice and he states that it has been "an influence for evil." (pp. 107, 480) Bruce McConkie once stated at Brigham Young University that a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is "improper and perilous" (Church News, March 20, 1982, p. 5)

Ephesians 2:8-9 says, "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." Romans 4:5 says that salvation comes to those who do not work for salvation, but believe on Jesus Christ instead! More here:
http://www.biblebelievers.com/jmelton/Mormons.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cult Doctrines: Mormonism
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:11 am 

Hi Bro Parish!
I believe that the majority of these cults/religions find their origins in secret orders and they have been deliberately created to break down the concept of absolute Scriptural truth. After the reformation Rome almost lost its hold over humanity for good and it probably would have done, but for a man by the name of Ignatius of Loyola who came on the scene at that time.
A lot of their major advances were made during the 1800s after the Jesuit agents had successfully infiltrated all of the target positions from where they were able to influence the world! (B.G. Wilkinson “the authorised version vindicated” is an excellent read on their deceptive work in the reshaping of the modern world (which is why the KJB was a priority target of theirs!).

There is an undeniable link between secret societies such as the Masons and the Mormons and those are only the surface ones! Here are some good links (the first one has some good KJB info on it!)

http://www.angelfire.com/la2/prophet1/pyramid101.html

http://www.spirittruth.com/view/?pageID=73185

I hope they prove useful!

(P.S. I don’t know whether this link may be of help to someone but I’ll post it anyway just for the purposes of discussion!)

http://christkeep.com/articles/kingjame ... scuss.html

God bless

PaulB

"This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief." 1 Timothy 1:15

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:16 am 

Thanks for the links Bro. PaulB...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:57 pm 

Joseph Smith actually was a Mason, so he carried a lot of that secret society into Mormonism. Don't worry - it doesn't phase them that so much of their religion is steeped in idolatry. I tried to bring this out to a couple of their (very) young "elders", and they were not troubled by this fact by the least.

The best one I have ever pulled on one them is this answer to their question "Have you ever read the book of Mormon?" My answer: "I tried, but I have always fallen asleep at the book of Ether." I pronounced it Ether - as in the gas ether that puts a person to sleep!!!) (They didn't get the joke either, I had to explain it to them...and they didn't find it funny!)

Psalm 119:45 And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:06 pm 

I used to be able to teach them that Jesus is God out of their own Book of Mormon, (that would really freak them out), but I'm rusty now...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:54 pm 

Believe it or not there is a Mormon temple about 6 miles from where I live and I have never had one of them knock on my door yet!
I have posted the image because I have heard that this temple in Chorley Lancashire is something to do with their geographic foundations

(If I'm way off the mark then does anyone have any better info?)

God bless

PaulB

"This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief." 1 Timothy 1:15

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:44 am 

hi all
the mormon temple in chorley is not far from me and they built it there as lancashire was the first place they made converts in the 1800's also not only was joseph smith a worshipful master in the masons but there temple rituals are based on masonry and the temple near me has the set square and pentagram on the walls outside, as a side line charles t russell was also a mason on his grave is a pyramid with masonic signs on
also a friend of mine who is a jw told me in a way as jesus was an angel then he and satan were technically brothers how blasphemous is that how these people need the truth but are so blinded they can not see what i have tried to show them
god bless
chris
in the beginning was the word and the word was god

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:43 pm 

Yes, you are correct Chris, and the sad thing is: many people have no idea just how corrupt Mormon doctrine really is until they start doing some research. Unlike some cults, it appears quite normal on the surface (sheep's clothing).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:19 am 

Quote:
Salvation through Works
Mormons believe that one's salvation is based on such good works as baptism, good deeds, missionary work, and following Mormon teachings. In The Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, justification by faith in Jesus Christ is called a "pernicious doctrine" twice and he states that it has been "an influence for evil." (pp. 107, 480)

That pretty much sums it up right there.
Cults and world religions are ALWAYS based on salvation by works! :( :( :(

By the way I was meaning to ask -- have any of you guys ever known a Mormon personally?

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:20 pm 

Baptist1611 wrote:

By the way I was meaning to ask -- have any of you guys ever known a Mormon personally?

Yes. Some of my neighbors are Mormon. We have ex-Mormons in our church. Interestingly Mormon kids even come to our VBS where they hear the gospel. My neighbors even come to our Christmas program each year.

I heard that after one of the kids attended VBS for a day or so his father gave him the choice of going fishing instead, and he chose to go back to VBS! Also when his mother dropped him off someone saw her give him a Bible and overheard her say, "I don't know what version they use, but all we have is the King James, so it'll have to do." :lol:

Besides the fact that they're Mormon, I couldn't ask for better neighbors.

Also in the military I had a site commander that was a Mormon. We had some long interesting conversations.

Our present church building is directly across the street from a Mormon church (or temple, or whatever) and we have a big cross aimed right at them.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 5   [ 50 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next