Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: How to pray for an Atheist
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:07 pm 

I saw this article today and thought it was pretty good,
what do you think... :) :) :)

God's Great Patience With Christopher Hitchens

Christopher Hitchens, the infamous British atheist (or anti-theist, as he says) who is widely known for his 2007 book "God is Not Great," made it known in advance that he would not be "participating" in the pray-for-Hitchens-day recently held by various concerned Christians.

Hitchens' health condition caused by esophageal cancer that has spread to his lymph nodes and lungs was among the reasons to have set aside a day to pray on his behalf.

Hitchens recently told the AP that the people praying for him fall into one of three groups. The first are those who delight in his suffering and might wish to hasten his death. The second are those who want Hitchens to have a conversion experience. And the third group consists of those who are asking God to heal him.

Hitchens naturally isn't crazy about the first group. "To hell with you who pray for me to go to hell," is his message for that group.

"Thanks but no thanks," is his retort to those "who want me to convert and recognize a divinity or deity."

Regarding the third group, Hitchens says, "It's fine by me, I think of it as a nice gesture. And it may well make them feel better, which is a good thing in itself." It's a nice gesture, sort of like saying, "God bless you," after someone sneezes.

As Hitchens experiences a heightened awareness of his weakness and the loss of all he has — himself — Christians will continue to pray. But the three separate groups, as Hitchens sees them, might just be a little simplistic.

It seems to me that Christians who set out to pray for Hitchens might find themselves in all three groups — starting in the first. They might need to ask God to help direct their thoughts from wanting Hitchens to be punished to praying for Hitchens' salvation and healing.

It's a natural response for humans to want vengeance on their enemies, especially when an enemy of a religion has worked overtime to vilify and defame that which is most sacred to its members. Though Hitchens has criticized many religions, his vile attacks against the God of the Bible are second to no others. If he had crossed the line in blaspheming Mohammed he most likely would be missing a head about now... Full story here:
http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/kuligowski/100929

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How to pray for an Atheist
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:48 pm 

2Peter 3:9 "...not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

God doesn't wish for anyone to be lost. But He knows it's going to happen. Being a righteous Christian, we can not in good conscience, pray for ill will to befall Mr Hitchens. That would be wrong in so many ways. I will remember Mr Hitchens in my prayers tonight that God soften Mr Hitchens heart & strengthen him in spirit & enlighten him to the truth. Many people find God in the end. I hope Mr Hitchens finds him too.

Thanks for sharing the story. :-)

Oh dear . . I just noticed the date on this story/post. I wonder where Mr Hitchens wound up !??!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:28 pm 

He died December 15, 2011. As late as October 2011, Hitchens made a public appearance at the Texas Freethought Convention* in Houston, TX. Atheist Alliance of America was also a participant in the joint convention. His last words were reportedly "Capitalism, downfall."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Hitchens

*Texas Freethought Convention: Freethinkers, "Freidenkers"Humanists, Agnostics, Secularists, Rationalists, Non-Believers, Atheists, Deists, Brights, Skeptics and anybody else who wants to join in on the event from around Texas across the U.S. and beyond.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:07 pm 

Hi All,

Well not wanting to sound trite, but he can now say with absolute surety that both GOD and hell do exist. The sad part is that he will have eternity to ponder those revelations.

I am always saddened by things like this because I am the only one in my immediate family that is saved, and they are NOT wanting to hear anything that I have to say on the matter.

It breaks my heart to think that GOD loves us so much that HE died to redeem us and people still snub their noses at HIM, thereby literally putting themselves into an eternity in the Lake of Fire.

Sad very sad indeed.

Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through CHRIST which strengtheneth me"

In the LORD JESUS CHRIST,
preachp

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:17 am 

Hi Paul,

It is sad. Are there really Christians who take pleasure in the death of a man like Hitchens? It's only by the mercy and grace of God that we're saved, not because we we're so much better than he was.

Don't give up. I witnessed my Dad who claimed to be an atheist, or at least an agnostic, come to know the Lord later in his life. My brother was saved in the final months or weeks of his life. Keep setting the example and PRAY.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:46 am 

Hi Jeff,
I can see where the first impulse being the fleshy man coming out cold wish that, but then after any contemplation the HOLY SPIRIT ought to be reminding that person of the fact that it is by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

I do pray every day for them. But I also understand that GOD will not force any man to come to repentance. It is a personal decision and each of us is accountable for our own choice.
"John 14:13-14 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it."

Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through CHRIST which strengtheneth me"

In the LORD JESUS CHRIST,
preachp

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]