Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Door to door evangelism
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:04 pm 

Wondering how many folks here go out door to door. I would go out with my pastor at the church we were at before we moved and I recently met a pastor here in Jacksonville that goes out. I went with him this past Saturday.

I will say that it is always an adventure, you never know what is going to happen when someone comes to the door. For those of you that go out any advice you would like to share on things that you have seen that work well and things to avoid?

Often times people think I am a JW or Mormon, I get some shocked looks sometimes when I tell them I'm a Baptist.

I'm not an expert by any means but some things I have learned have been that you should find an experienced partner to go with. Be polite and to the point. Don't argue with someone on their front step, if they reject you don't take it personal just dust off your feet and move on to the next house. The more you do it the more comfortable you will be talking to folks and presenting the gospel. No matter what I always have a sick feeling in my stomach until after I have talked to the first person, just pray and get over it, ha! (The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak, Matt 26:41)

If it is something you have never done before I would encourage you to pray about it and if the Lord tells you to go then go.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Door to door evangelism
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:44 pm 

Hi again Adam. I just posted in a thread on soul winning, that Bro. Parrish started. I haven't gone door to door yet myself, but I'm going to do just that this Christmas. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see it as any different than talking with folks on the street. Other than trying not to bother anybody while they're having dinner. If they don't want to talk, that's fine, hopefully most accept a tract. All they have to do is tell me they don't want one and shut the door, if that's how they feel about it. No different than walking away from me on the street. If they do, I'll thank them anyway.

I think that the advise you were given is great, I try to do the same and wear decent clothes. I don't really get dressed up, but i leave the ratty jeans home.

I haven't been doing this long either, but i know It's right and it gets easier the more I do it.

May God bless you for helping in His Work brother.

Bob

Acts 16:31, "Believe on the lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved, and thy house"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:39 pm 

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think why wait til Christmas. Yeah, I've got some nice Christmas themed tracts and it was my intention to go door to door with them at Christmas, but I have lots of tracts with different themes and they have the same wonderful message of salvation through Jesus Christ. I'm not saying that the Lord brought you here to get me out knocking on doors sooner, but your post has given me the inspiration to. I suppose I should get over my pneumonia first though, so I can walk ten feet without coughing so much I get dizzy. Let alone spreading it to every house I go to. Thanks Adam.

Bob

Acts 16:31, "Believe on the lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved, and thy house"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:04 pm 

Bob S. wrote:
You know, the more I think about it, the more I think why wait til Christmas. Yeah, I've got some nice Christmas themed tracts and it was my intention to go door to door with them at Christmas, but I have lots of tracts with different themes and they have the same wonderful message of salvation through Jesus Christ. I'm not saying that the Lord brought you here to get me out knocking on doors sooner, but your post has given me the inspiration to. I suppose I should get over my pneumonia first though, so I can walk ten feet without coughing so much I get dizzy. Let alone spreading it to every house I go to. Thanks Adam.

Bob

Praise the Lord!

Waiting until the pneumonia is gone would probably be best!!! I will pray for you.

In my experience I have found it to be quite similar as approaching folks on the street or in Walmart, etc. and giving them a tract. I would say in my experience people tend to be less hostile in public than some I have spoken to at their homes.

When I go up to someone's door I always introduce myself and whoever I am with and tell them we are from such and such Baptist Church. I will normally follow that up with an invitation to come to our church and ask them if they are attending somewhere. If they say they attend church I always ask where and tell them that is great and I'm not trying to steal them from their church. (I don't feel that it is right to bash their church or them on their doorstep no matter what kind of church they are from, I also think some people lie and tell you they go to church hoping that you will leave). I then tell them I need to ask them one more thing before I leave and will say something like "are you 100% sure that if you died today you would go to heaven" or "how sure are you that if you died today you would go to heaven". If they tell me they are 100% sure I ask how they know. If they have a clear testimony I try to encourage them. If they are not sure or if they can't give a clear testimony I will ask them if I can show them from the bible how they can be 100% sure or that their works, baptism, etc won't save them. And then give the gospel. If you feel like they are under conviction ask them if they would like to accept the Lord. If you are unsure don't push it, you can always come back another time.

I would love to hear others opinions or stories. I'm sure there are numerous ways to do it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:40 pm 

Thank you Adam. Yes, I can see how people might tend to be more hostile at home than they'd be when out in public, I hadn't thought of that. That's ok, I grew up in what you could almost call a war zone.

I like your method of asking people about their salvation and I'd like to use it, if you wouldn't mind. Different situations call for different methods and I really like the example you gave with the included scripture. Like I said, I'm still new at this and The Lord is teaching me as I go. Thanks Adam, you've helped me again.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:31 pm 

AdamL wrote:
For those of you that go out any advice you would like to share on things that you have seen that work well and things to avoid?

Hello Adam, here are some posts you may enjoy…

12 Great Tips For Soulwinning
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=288

And I made a few comments here…

Have never gone soul winning
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2202

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:24 pm 

@ Bro. Parrish Thank you for the info. Very insightful.

@ Bob, if you wanted to try anything that I suggested feel free. I hope you will let us know how it goes. Hopefully we can encourage and help train one another.

@ Ralph, I'm not sure what your medical condition entails but perhaps you could find a brother at your church that is experienced going out and be the "silent partner". Watch and listen to what he does and ask questions in between houses. While he is talking to the person at the door you can be praying. You could build up your confidence this way and try when you are ready.

I agree very strongly with what Bro. Parrish said in one of his posts on the other threads. The Lord will bless you going out and being a witness. Maybe you won't see anyone saved or the people you talk to don't visit your church. But God will bring in other visitors. Be faithful, God will bless and build His church!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:40 pm 

More here…

Soulwinning Tips for Busy Christians
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=311&p=1869

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:28 pm 

@ Bob, if you wanted to try anything that I suggested feel free. I hope you will let us know how it goes. Hopefully we can encourage and help train one another.

Thanks Adam and I like the idea of encouraging and helping each other. "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

I agree with what brother Parrish said too. He's helped me a lot in the short time that I've been here.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:13 pm 

AdamL wrote:
....I'm not an expert by any means but some things I have learned have been that you should find an experienced partner to go with. Be polite and to the point. Don't argue with someone on their front step, if they reject you don't take it personal just dust off your feet and move on to the next house. The more you do it the more comfortable you will be talking to folks and presenting the gospel. No matter what I always have a sick feeling in my stomach until after I have talked to the first person, just pray and get over it, ha! (The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak, Matt 26:41)

If it is something you have never done before I would encourage you to pray about it and if the Lord tells you to go then go.

You may or may not "be an expert", but I know what I just read sure was sound advice! God Bless you in serving Him!!

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next