Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 2 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Door to door evangelism
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:36 am 

Ralph Joseph wrote:
I have also been working up the courage to participate in soul winning. The two most helpful things that I have read thus far have been The Soul Winner by Spurgeon and What's Wrong With Most Soul Winning by David Cloud. I'm still quite nervous about it mostly due to my hearing condition and that I'm concerned that I would have to suddenly run away from a barking dog or a lawnmower or standing on their porch with my noise canceling headphones and make people think that Christians are even more strange than they already do.

Over the years, I've heard several comments referencing that "Spurgeon was the prince of preachers." I happened to be in the bookstore at the now defunct Pacific Coast Baptist Bible College, and picked up a large volume of Spurgeon's sermons, message notes, anecdotes, etc., and went through it. He may or may not have been a Baptist, but he was surely a Calvinist. He's just a little to "polished" for my taste. Not ridiculing or critiquing him, just my observation/experience.

I enjoyed reading Cloud's article, and for the most part, he's spot on! Way too many Baptists swallow the Hylesish 1-2-3 say a pray after me type soul-winning. I was familiar with, but had never experienced "the Carl Hatch squeeze." Though he's no fan of Brother Ruckman, Cloud's resource page, Way of Life Literature, is first class and has a lot of good material. On the article by Cloud, he mentions a book entitled, "Salvation - Bible Basics," that has an excellent approach to proper evangelization. Though we already use a similar approach here in Mongolia, we may eventually translate it into Mongolian for our co-workers.

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. The loss of liberty at home is to be charged to the provisions against danger, real or imagined, from abroad.”
JAMES MADISON

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:14 am 

Mongol Servant wrote:

Over the years, I've heard several comments referencing that "Spurgeon was the prince of preachers." I happened to be in the bookstore at the now defunct Pacific Coast Baptist Bible College, and picked up a large volume of Spurgeon's sermons, message notes, anecdotes, etc., and went through it. He may or may not have been a Baptist, but he was surely a Calvinist. He's just a little to "polished" for my taste. Not ridiculing or critiquing him, just my observation/experience...

He was definitely a Calvinist, and that was my last straw with his material for me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:45 pm 

Mongol Servant wrote:
I enjoyed reading Cloud's article, and for the most part, he's spot on! Way too many Baptists swallow the Hylesish 1-2-3 say a pray after me type soul-winning. I was familiar with, but had never experienced "the Carl Hatch squeeze." Though he's no fan of Brother Ruckman, Cloud's resource page, Way of Life Literature, is first class and has a lot of good material. On the article by Cloud, he mentions a book entitled, "Salvation - Bible Basics," that has an excellent approach to proper evangelization. Though we already use a similar approach here in Mongolia, we may eventually translate it into Mongolian for our co-workers.

I agree with you 100% that easy believism is wrong and does an untold amount of damage. If the person is not under conviction and ready to repent of their sins and trust Christ to save them then there is no reason whatsoever to push it just to get a "decision".

I read that article by Bro. Cloud and a lot of it came off to me as lordship salvation. It seems to me that in order to counteract that extreme error of easy believism they have gone to the other extreme which is just as wrong. It is almost like a person needs a 3 year degree from a bible institute before they can be trusted enough to know what true repentance is. They expect a brand new Christian to be some super sanctified holy man that has eliminated all sin from their lives. I think the bible gives plenty of description about " babes in Christ" that we should know that a brand new Christian is going to need discipleship and guidance.

I think that is where the real problem lies. No discipleship. I have seen plenty of churches that have soul winning programs but almost none that have some kind of discipleship/mentoring program. Maybe if someone went back and continued talking with the people that they lead to Lord there would be less of these problems. Instead of get em saved and forget them...

There has got to be a middle ground between 1-2-3 pray after me and lordship salvation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:47 pm 

AdamL wrote:
I read that article by Bro. Cloud and a lot of it came off to me as lordship salvation. It seems to me that in order to counteract that extreme error of easy believism they have gone to the other extreme which is just as wrong. It is almost like a person needs a 3 year degree from a bible institute before they can be trusted enough to know what true repentance is. They expect a brand new Christian to be some super sanctified holy man that has eliminated all sin from their lives.

Yes sir, and you are not the only one who feels that way.
Check this out --->

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20 ... _cloud.htm

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:01 am 

AdamL wrote:
Mongol Servant wrote:

I agree with you 100% that easy believism is wrong and does an untold amount of damage. If the person is not under conviction and ready to repent of their sins and trust Christ to save them then there is no reason whatsoever to push it just to get a "decision".

I read that article by Bro. Cloud and a lot of it came off to me as lordship salvation. It seems to me that in order to counteract that extreme error of easy believism they have gone to the other extreme which is just as wrong. It is almost like a person needs a 3 year degree from a bible institute before they can be trusted enough to know what true repentance is. They expect a brand new Christian to be some super sanctified holy man that has eliminated all sin from their lives. I think the bible gives plenty of description about " babes in Christ" that we should know that a brand new Christian is going to need discipleship and guidance.

I think that is where the real problem lies. No discipleship. I have seen plenty of churches that have soul winning programs but almost none that have some kind of discipleship/mentoring program. Maybe if someone went back and continued talking with the people that they lead to Lord there would be less of these problems. Instead of get em saved and forget them...

There has got to be a middle ground between 1-2-3 pray after me and lordship salvation.

When I was first introduced to Cloud and his material, I too, thought he had some lordship salvation tendencies, but alas:

http://www.wayoflife.org/database/repen ... sited.html

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. The loss of liberty at home is to be charged to the provisions against danger, real or imagined, from abroad.”
JAMES MADISON

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 2 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2