Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Getting started in soul winning
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:15 pm 

Matthew 10:14

Last edited by Ralph Joseph on Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Have never gone soul winning
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:44 pm 

Ralph Joseph wrote:
Part of it is the fear of approaching strangers.
Can anyone tell me how one gets started in soul winning? Do the churches teach you how to do it, or does one just "bite the bullet" so-to-speak, and just start doing it?

Strangers are piece of cake FOR ME. It is witnessing to people you love and respect that is hard. For me anyway.

My absolute BEST advice is get some cards printed with nothing but scripture and hand those to them, which is not only the Word of God they NEED to read, but also a very VERY easy way to open the door to conversing Christ with them.
Here is a simple "business" card I had printed at a local print shop years and years ago. It was simply, but it DID THE JOB!
(the picture is an actual small 2"x3½" business card, but looks big here :?: )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:45 am 

Sorry, I missed this one earlier. Please see my comments here...

Responding To Unbelievers

Also, see here…

12 Great Tips for Soul-winning

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:35 pm 

Ralph Joseph wrote:
Part of it is the fear of approaching strangers. Part of it is feeling that, since I don't feel that I know scripture very well, I think that I may do more harm than good.
Is every Christian supposed to go on visitations and things, or are certain people gifted with the passion and ability?

I may come across totally different on the forum, but I am not an outgoing social type person at all, I'm not comfortable knocking on doors for any reason, and I could never see myself being a street preacher, and I can get tongue tied. I've wondered if it's a matter of courage, or if I'm just not gifted in that area.

Bro. Parrish said:
Quote:
There is an old saying;
God never requires our ability, only our availability.
Maybe being available means we wait for God to bring witnessing opportunities into our lives, and seeing what He would have us to do. I know we can take that too far and use it as an excuse to do nothing. But I've found something to do with God, or creation, or something you can turn back to God comes up all the time in happenstance conversations, even when you're not specifically looking for them.

Maybe because I live in a fairly small community, but it also surprises me how often I may meet someone I don't really know and they'll ask me "don't you go to the Baptist church?" or something. That also makes me realize I'm probably being watched and need to take care for my reputation, or more properly the One whom I'm supposed to be representing.

I've been trying to remember to keep my Bible in my truck, especially if I think I may run into certain people. I have the Roman Road chain reference and things marked in it.

In your case I imagine if someone asks you what you do it can be a witnessing opportunity. I think you have a video that ties the work of God in a person's life with your restoration of antiques? I think that is a great opportunity if it includes the plan of salvation.

I don't mean to downplay the importance of visitation, I think you should definitely speak to your pastor about it. I don't doubt that more people should be doing it. But don't overlook the more "everyday" type things either. This could even include seeking out ways you can help a neighbor, or even a stranger.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:05 pm 

Hello Jeff,
I believe in taking the Gospel to the streets and I believe God blesses this. That doesn't mean that the Lord won't "bring witnessing opportunities into our lives," because yes there are certainly times this happens as well. However, I also believe we as believers have been given marching orders to "go." Someone once said the first two letters in Gospel are "go."

I'm certainly not saying everyone has to do this if they don't want to, but I do believe in it because I have seen it work so many times. This is how I was trained as a layman. To knock on doors. To present, to ask, to question, to encourage, to invite them to church. To look them in the eye and tell them you are the one God sent to give them the truth. It's like anything else, you stumble for a while, but eventual you become better at it.

True story: when I was a new babe in Christ, carrying a "Living Bible" and fooling around visiting various dead churches and speaking with cults. I was a total neophyte on doctrine; I couldn't have told you the difference between a Mormon and a Methodist. So I was calling churches, visiting ministries, and talking with everyone and praying for help. About that time, something completely different happened. It was a layman from an IFB church that came to MY neighborhood, and knocked on MY door one day to invite me to church, and that made the difference in my life. I do not believe that happened by chance. So yes, I believe in active outreach. And I can tell you this; the man that came to my door that day became a great friend of mine. He is not a preacher, he is one of the worst speakers you have ever heard; often sputtering and even making a fool of himself many times. I kid you not he is still the same today. What happened? He just made himself available.

Another thought… I am a fisherman. If I sit and wait in one spot all day, yes it's true that I might catch some bass. But there is much to be said for going where the fish are; seeking them out and actively fishing for men (Matt 4:19, Ecc 9:12).

I have heard people say, "well brother, they can see my life and that is my witness." But to me that is not soul winning. There is more to it than that and it starts with a willingness to actively reach out to those around us. Jeff, I am not a good Christian, and I don't always have the compassion to do this as I should. The flesh resists this activity and there are always a thousand reasons not to go. But I believe in it, because I have done it and I have seen it work. Anyway, just sharing a few thoughts, God bless.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:09 pm 

I just believe that there are other ways of taking the Gospel to the streets than knocking on doors. Though, as I said, I don't discount knocking on doors. But I don't think other ways should be discounted either. They have also been known to work, perhaps even more often than door-knocking. I believe that there are differing gifts, and differing ways of reaching people. Some people are so sick of Mormons and JW's knocking on their door that you have to find other ways to reach them. If one or two people from the IFB church who are so led go and knock on someone's door, that's a great thing. If all 200, or however many members, of the church go out one after another and knock on their doors, that's another thing. But then, maybe you live in an area where you need all the members of your church to be involved because there are more houses.

Along with being ordered to go, we're also ordered to baptize. I haven't personally done that. But I am out in the world.

When I fish, I do throw out a line in a particular area, and move to another area if I'm not catching anything. I try to go where the fish are, but I don't chase individual fish down into their personal little holes or anything. I have to wait for the individual fish to come to me. I know there are examples in the Bible where Christ brought the fish to the fishermen. I am not saying that we should be Calvinistic in thinking that God will just bring people to us who are to be saved. We should be looking for witnessing opportunities and the lost. Again, I think there are various ways of doing so.

Now I have gone frog gigging where I take... I think I'm digressing. :lol:

Anyway, I see and appreciate your point, and it is a sad thing if there are people around you who have no idea about Christ.

Still I think there are differing callings and gifts, and I'm not sure we can say our way is better than someone else's if we're all doing as God calls. I think there is a case for being ready to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason for the hope this is in you, rather than running the man down without giving him the opportunity to ask you. And I think there is a lot to be said for being an example. Do you think Tabitha/Dorcas, for example, would have reached more people knocking on doors? Or maybe she did knock on doors also, I don't know. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:54 pm 

Ralph Joseph wrote:
It was very common to ask someone if they would help out with a certain ministry, only to be met with, "I just don't feel like God is calling me to do that." I remember asking some teenage church co-workers if they would help my team set up for a big picnic we were preparing for and they responded by saying, "We really don't feel that God is leading us to do that today." Translation: We don't feel like doing that.
Probably not the case with these people, but some may eschew doing things like setting up for picnics and helping out in certain ministries because they believe God has called them to bigger and better things, like "soul-winning". Maybe you should have asked them, "Just what has God called you to do today?" I really don't believe it is uncommon for things that are necessary and that God would be pleased with to go neglected because people think that God calls them to what they see as more important things. The person who is quietly going about taking care of things in the church that are otherwise neglected, encouraging other Christians without announcing it to the world as their ministry, or speaking privately with an unsaved acquaintance who has just had a health issue and has suddenly become aware of their mortality, or helping a widow get set up with some firewood for winter, and any number of things, may be blessed by God more than you think.

Quote:
From both my own experience and from working at a mega church, I know how easy it can be to justify resistance by thinking that God may not be calling us.
I'll give you this point. I was terrified of public speaking, didn't feel I was particularly smart and knowledgeable, but I agreed to fill in temporarily as a Sunday School teacher when the previous one went home to be with the Lord only because I didn't know of anyone else who would do it. That was many years ago and I'm still teaching, God has blessed in it and I enjoy it. Though I'm still waiting for a "real" teacher to come along. :)

Quote:
Is every Christian supposed to go on visitations and things, or are certain people gifted with the passion and ability?
So as I'm reading it, so far the answer to my question is that all Christians are to go door knocking?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:17 pm 

Jeff wrote:
Still I think there are differing callings and gifts, and I'm not sure we can say our way is better than someone else's if we're all doing as God calls.

Absolutely, there are different gifts and I'm sure personality and preference plays a part also. You don't need to knock on doors to win souls to Christ; and looking back I have been able to witness in many scenarios and circumstances; in parks, in offices, camping trips, sporting events, restaurants, wherever there was an opportunity.

With regard to going soul winning, I am just trying to say that it seems like the most effective method that I have personally used is one-on-one in a residential setting. I don't know that I can explain that, or that I ever really thought about it much. It just seems like people are more relaxed at home and looking back I can recall many times we were invited in to sit down, but I don't want to sound like it's always been successful because there can be distractions at home too.

Many times these have been people who have visited the church already so in essence you are returning their visit and getting to know them. Other times they have been total strangers. When the time is right and at the leading of the Holy Spirit, I have no problem asking a person straight up if he is saved, that is if he died today would he go to heaven. And if you listen to the reply, you can usually get an idea where they are spiritually, and hopefully from there you can open the Bible and lead them to Christ if they are lost. To me that is going soul winning. Sometimes it doesn't go that far, and I can't speak for anyone else, but that is just my experience. You can't be pushy; and if a man says he's not interested, you can still plant a seed, make a friend, leave a tract and move on. It's certainly not the only way, and it may not be the best way for all, I'm just saying I believe that is the way I have been able to most effectively present the Gospel and have people understand it and respond.

Bro. Steve is a street preacher, and I'm sure he's good at it. I have never tried that method personally but the senior pastor at our church was involved in this in his younger years before he was ordained. Anyway, it's a worthy discussion, and I appreciate your thoughts on it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:47 pm 

Makes a lot of sense, and looking back through this thread I don't even see where Ralph or anyone necessarily even equated soul winning solely with door knocking, as he indicates in his last post, so I apologize if I read something into it that wasn't there and got off track. It's still thought provoking to me. Whatever we do, do any of us do all we can with the realization that time is short? I know I realize that any moment could be our last moment on earth, but I tend not to act with the sense of urgency I should.

I think Ralph has the right priority and is asking the right questions and I haven't really answered.
Ralph Joseph wrote:
Can anyone tell me how one gets started in soul winning? Do the churches teach you how to do it, or does one just "bite the bullet" so-to-speak, and just start doing it?
I think Bro Parrish has answered to some extent. But churches should, I think, teach members such things, I know we have looked at Biblical methods. And sometimes it really does just come up, without necessarily even looking for it, you suddenly realize that someone, or God, has given you an excellent opportunity. And it seems that the more you act on these opportunities, the more other opportunities arise. I'm not sure they're ever even quite the same, which makes it harder to prepare a specific response. But knowing the principles and consistently reading and meditating on the Bible is of utmost importance, and God really can bring just the right thing to mind.

I don't think Ralph has a desire for soul winning for nothing, and I think God will bless in that. I definitely don't mean to discourage that, or disparage any Biblical and effective method, in any way!

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]