Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: The day of the week Jesus entered Jerusalem on the donkey
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:12 pm 

I have an intereasting thought about this subject and I would like to see what other Christians think about it. It is the common beleif that Jesus rode into Jerusalem on Sunday. (referred to as "palm Sunday"). It is also a common beleif that Jesus was crucified on Friday (referred to as "good Friday")

A Bible believer knows that Jesus was not crucified on Friday because Matthew 12:40 says he was in the heart of the earth 3 days and 3 nights. We know he arose Saturday night because the women found the tomb empty Sunday morning. (Mat 28:1, Mk 16:1-2, Lk 24:1-2, Jn 20:1) You can't get 3 days and 3 nights between Friday and Sunday morning! I know that people try to say that Jesus is talking about partial days in Matthew 12:40 but Jesus himself corrected that heresy in John 11:9! (if you are a bible believer)

Since the world teaches the wrong day concerning Jesus crucifixion, It may be that they also teach the wrong day concerning his "triumphal entry into Jerusalem! Check out the following scriptures and see what you think:

1. John 12:1 gives us a starting time frame of 6 days before the passover. We know that Jesus was crucified on the same day as the passover feast which was instituted in Exodus 12:5-6 (the 14th day of the Jewish first month) We also know from Mat 12:40 that he was crucified on Wednesday. The time frame given in John 12:1 puts us 6 days back before the passover. The passover was obviously Wednesday so 6 days before Wednesday would be on Thursday.

2. Now watch the sequence of events in John chapter 12, John 12:12-15 says that he entered Jerusalem on the next day! It looks to me like it may have been a "palm Friday" instead of a "palm Sunday"!

3. We have some more information that we can look at to back this up! The book of Mark is going to list the days between Jesus entry into Jerusalem and the crucifixion day:

a) He rides into Jerusalem in Mark 11:1-10 (Friday according to John 12:1)

b) The next day occurs in Mark 11:12 where Jesus curses the fig tree (this would be Saturday) Saturday evening is in Mark 11:19.

c) The next day occurs in Mark 11:20 where Jesus sees the fig tree dried up. (this would be Sunday)

d) The next two days are accounted for in Mark 14:1 where a statement is made accounting for two more days. (this would account for Monday and Tuesday "After these two days it would be Wednesday and that is the day that Jesus was crucified.

In my opinion, if you teach that Jesus rode into Jerusalem on Sunday, you have to ignore John 12:1. What do you think?
(if you do teach that Jesus rode in on Sunday and follow the days laid out in Mark you end up with the crucifixion being on Friday!)

Last edited by vhgenesis77 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The day of the week Jesus entered Jerusalem on the donkey
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:22 am 

Thank you brother for this work. I knew about the Crucifixion being on Wednesday, but never tried to work backwards to the day He rode into Jerusalem. Friday would make sense since their day of worship was Saturday.

Psalm 119:45 And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The day of the week Jesus entered Jerusalem on the donkey
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:11 pm 

Steve Schwenke wrote:
Thank you brother for this work. I knew about the Crucifixion being on Wednesday, but never tried to work backwards to the day He rode into Jerusalem. Friday would make sense since their day of worship was Saturday.

the crucifixion was on a wednesday the preparation day for the thursday high day sabbath.the first day of unleavened bread is a sabbath day equal to the saturday sabbath.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]