Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 5 of 6   [ 56 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What books are on your night stand?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:46 pm 

Im an old country boy from klondike Fl.. Someone will smack you is a loose term for correction. I do not consider them inspired words. These books do have a lot of information that you will not see in the Old testament and they gave me a better understanding of of things.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:00 pm 

Here is a small excerpt, i dont aggree with all of it but I did read it.

Judgement
It is assumed in general that sinners go to hell immediately after their death. The famous teacher Johanan b. Zakkai wept before his death because he did not know whether he would go to paradise or to hell (Ber. 28b). The pious go to paradise, and sinners to hell (B. M. 83b). To every individual is apportioned two shares, one in hell and one in paradise. At death, however, the righteous man's portion in hell is exchanged, so that he has two in heaven, while the reverse is true in the case of sinners (Ḥag. 15a). Hence it would have been better for the latter not to have lived at all (Yeb. 63b). They are cast into Gehenna to a depth commensurate with their sinfulness. They say: "Lord of the world, Thou hast done well; Paradise for the pious, Gehenna for the wicked" ('Er. 19a).
There are three categories of men; the wholly pious and the arch-sinners are not purified, but only those between these two classes (Ab. R. N. 41). A similar view is expressed in the Babylonian Talmud, which adds that those who have sinned themselves but have not led others into sin remain for twelve months in Gehenna; "after twelve months their bodies are destroyed, their souls are burned, and the wind strews the ashes under the feet of the pious. But as regards the heretics, etc., and Jeroboam, Nebat's son, hell shall pass away, but they shall not pass away" (R. H. 17a; comp. Shab. 33b). All that descend into Gehenna shall come up again, with the exception of three classes of men: those who have committed adultery, or shamed their neighbors, or vilified them (B. M. 58b). The felicity of the pious in paradise excites the wrath of the sinners who behold it when they come from hell (Lev. R. xxxii.). The Book of Enoch (xxvii. 3, xlviii. 9, lxii. 12) paraphrases this thought by saying that the pious rejoice in the pains of hell suffered by the sinners. Abraham takes the damned to his bosom ('Er. 19a; comp. Luke xvi. 19-31). The fire of Gehenna does not touch the Jewish sinners because they confess their sins before the gates of hell and return to God ('Er. 19a). As mentioned above, heretics and the Roman oppressors go to Gehenna, and the same fate awaits the Persians, the oppressors of the Babylonian Jews (Ber. 8b). When Nebuchadnezzar descended into hell, all its inhabitants were afraid that he was coming to rule over them (Shab. 149a; comp. Isa. xiv. 9-10). The Book of Enoch also says that it is chiefly the heathen who are to be cast into the fiery pool on the Day of Judgment (x. 6, xci. 9, et al.). "The Lord, the Almighty, will punish them on the Day of Judgment by putting fire and worms into their flesh, so that they cry out with pain unto all eternity" (Judith xvi. 17).
(see image) Valley of Ge-Hinnom.(From a photograph by Bonfils.)The sinners in Gehenna will be filled with pain when God puts back the souls into the dead bodies on the Day of Judgment, according to Isa. xxxiii. 11 (Sanh. 108b). Enoch also holds (xlviii. 9) that the sinners will disappear like chaff before the faces of the elect. There will be no Gehenna in the future world, however, for God will take the sun out of its case, and it will heal the pious with its rays and will punish the sinners (Ned. 8b).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:32 pm 

Quote:
Im an old country boy from klondike Fl.. Someone will smack you is a loose term for correction. I do not consider them inspired words. These books do have a lot of information that you will not see in the Old testament and they gave me a better understanding of of things.

Hello jxxzz;

I would like to recommend a series of books for you;
The Bible Believer's Commentary Series by Peter S. Ruckman.

I have almost the entire series, most of them were gifts from my lovely wife.
Out of my entire library of men's works, they are consistently the books I value the most; and they are written in a way that an "old country boy" will enjoy and appreciate.

To my knowledge, there is nothing else quite like this series on the market today. They were written in a way that does not seek to change the preserved words of the inerrant King James Bible, and this makes them different than 98% of the material available on the market. They are bold, daring, funny, and they will most certainly give anyone a better understanding of the Bible; I have recommended them to many Bible students. I don't think any Christian library is complete without these; in fact, I think every Bible believer should read and own this series, starting with the first commentary on Genesis.

If you have a Kindle, you can download a Kindle version here and start reading "Genesis" in 5 minutes:
http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Commentar ... B0050SRC8A

Or you can order the printed books in the series direct from Ruckman's Bible Baptist Bookstore here:
http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Commentar ... B0050SRC8A

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:03 pm 

I will look into these as I have read the kjv twice and many other books as well. I watched Dr. Ruckmans programs on tv a couple years back. all recomendations are welcome. I am now going though the rightly divided word online. I have a lot to learn I am sure, thanks bro. Parrish

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:14 pm 

Br. J:
Josephus has some pretty good historical stuff in it, but some of it is dubious.
The other stuff you read is all up to you. I know good Bible believers that have read through the Koran several times in an attempt to know and understand Islam better, and have more weapons to fire at them.
So it all depends on the MOTIVE for reading what you read. As long as you don't equate those other books with Scripture, realize that not everything in them has any value, then you are OK. The Holy Bible (i.e. the KJV!!!) is the authority, and where those books disagree with the KJV, it is CORRECT, and they are WRONG.

If you want to learn the Bible, the rightly divided sites are wonderful, and then Dr. Ruckman's commentaries are great too, although there is a lot of strong meat in them!!!

The most important aspect of studying is PRAYER! See John 14:26 and John 16:13

Psalm 119:45 And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:29 pm 

Steve Schwenke wrote:
Br. J:
Josephus has some pretty good historical stuff in it, but some of it is dubious.
The other stuff you read is all up to you. I know good Bible believers that have read through the Koran several times in an attempt to know and understand Islam better, and have more weapons to fire at them.
So it all depends on the MOTIVE for reading what you read. As long as you don't equate those other books with Scripture, realize that not everything in them has any value, then you are OK. The Holy Bible (i.e. the KJV!!!) is the authority, and where those books disagree with the KJV, it is CORRECT, and they are WRONG.

If you want to learn the Bible, the rightly divided sites are wonderful, and then Dr. Ruckman's commentaries are great too, although there is a lot of strong meat in them!!!

I could not have said it better. Some were not so ineresting and some had information I found

quite interesting but in no way can they equate to the KJV. just interesting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:14 am 

Bro Steve ( if you don't mind ) I was in Amarillo in 1968 I went into the Air Force and was in the last flight to be trained there. I left Florida at 8am and got into Amarillo around 2pm it was about 90% that November day, I was in jeans and a tee shirt. The first thing they did was issue us a fatigue jacket ( I thought how dumb ) along about 1am everyone was up putting on their fatigue jacket because we were cold and only had one wool blanket. When they woke us at 4am to go out an march it was raining like crazy and very cold. We went in to eat between 6am and 7am after we went and changed clothes and cleaned up then on to exercise;
while we did exercise the mud puttles dried up and craked and it got up to 80 0r 90% again then night came and it was 30 or 40%. this lasted all of November and December.
I had hoped to never venture out there again but if I should, I will be seeing you for sure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:09 am 

Thanks for that anecdote.
They consider this part of the country "semi-arid," which means "almost desert." What you said still continues to this day!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:08 pm 

Steve Schwenke wrote:
Br. J:

I am reading the rightly devided word as you suggested, and it is quite informative; I am seeing a better picture than before. Over in appendix D chap 18 he brings up matt 5: 29-30

29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

I had always thought this reffered to the body of the church, rather than the physical body.

Your thoughts please

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:06 pm 

Matthew is what we call a "Transitional Book." THere is a transition from the OT Mosaic Law to the Kingdom of Heaven. Because the Jews as a nation reject Jesus Christ as their King, the transition to the Kingdom on Earth is delayed, and the Kingdom of God (a spiritual kingdom - see Romans 14:17) is offered to the entire world (i.e. not limited to ONLY the nation of Israel.)
In Matthew 5 - 7 Jesus Christ is describing what things would be like under His Kingdom once it is established here on earth. Under Jesus Christ's physical reign on this earth, sin will be penalized severely and quickly. There will be a literal lake of fire burning here on this planet. (See Isa. 30:27-33 for one example.)
So the passage you refer to above is LITERAL.

Of course, we can make an application to ourselves today in many of those verses. Mtthew 5:13-16 is excellent, and can fit the Kingdom Age OR the Church Age. But even the Apostle Paul does not follow Matthew 5:22 - he calls his brothers in Christ FOOLS more than once, and he is NOT in danger of Hell-fire! (see I cor. 15:36!)

I hope this helps you!

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 5 of 6   [ 56 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next