Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Total Solar Eclipse
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:48 pm 

FYI: Every night for an average of approximately twelve hours, depending on the season and latitude, you can see the sun totally eclipsed by the earth. During this time you can stare in the direction of the sun all you want without any danger of going blind and other serious eye damage, even without your souvenir eclipse glasses. STAY HOME, enjoy the nightly eclipse from the comfort and safety of your own yard, and have a good night!

However if you do insist on driving to see the eclipse, I'll consider letting you park in my yard for $500 a night, or $1,000 if you want to sleep in the back of my truck. I understand that's a real bargain considering the going rates at hotels now if you could even find a vacancy. (Prices subject to change before Monday.)

:evil:

So, anybody planning on traveling to see totality, or already in the path?

I was going to drive a few miles north to see it and get firewood at the same time as it's only 99.5% total at my location. But with all the tourists and nuttiness I don't think it's worth it. I'll just be glad when it's over and everybody goes away. (I'm not the most sociable person and hate crowds.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Total Solar Eclipse
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:10 am 

I think an eclipse requires all three (earth, sun & moon) to be involved for it to be an eclipse, but I like the pun.

We are getting 90% here and weather is calling for clouds I believe. It will still be interesting and cool to see how dark it gets though. I'm looking forward to seeing something, but I'm not driving the few hours it would take for me to see 100%. I would if I could, but the eclipse didn't check with my schedule first. I'm surprised.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:58 pm 

Bro. Chuck wrote:
I think an eclipse requires all three (earth, sun & moon) to be involved for it to be an eclipse, but I like the pun.

We are getting 90% here and weather is calling for clouds I believe. It will still be interesting and cool to see how dark it gets though. I'm looking forward to seeing something, but I'm not driving the few hours it would take for me to see 100%. I would if I could, but the eclipse didn't check with my schedule first. I'm surprised.
I still think I'm technically correct: :)

American Heritage Dictionary
Quote:
eclipse

e·clipse (a-klaps“) n.
1.a. The partial or complete obscuring, relative to a designated observer, of one celestial body by another. b. The period of time during which such an obscuration occurs.
2. A temporary or permanent dimming or cutting off of light.
3.a. A fall into obscurity or disuse; a decline: “A composer . . . often goes into eclipse after his death and never regains popularity” (Time). b. A disgraceful or humiliating end; a downfall: Revelations of wrongdoing helped bring about the eclipse of the governor's career. --e·clipse tr.v. e·clipsed, e·clips·ing, e·clips·es.
1.a. To cause an eclipse of. b. To obscure; darken.
2.a. To obscure or diminish in importance, fame, or reputation. b. To surpass; outshine: an outstanding performance that eclipsed the previous record. [Middle English, from Old French, from Latin eclspsis, from Greek ekleipsis, from ekleipein, to fail to appear : ek-, out; see ECTO- + leipein, to leave; see leikw- below.]
So at night, relative to me (or any other observer) the sun, a celestial body, is obscured by the earth, another celestial body.

Did you know it is pronounced a-klaps“? Better not pronounce it e-klips.

Just to be sure, I looked up to see whether earth is considered a celestial body.
Quote:
celestial

ce·les·tial (s…-lµs“ch…l) adj.
1. Of or relating to the sky or the heavens: Planets are celestial bodies.
Earth is a planet. At least it would appear to be in the sky or heavens to a Martian, or Neil Armstrong et. al. at one time

Okay, to be fair; if you look up the definition of "solar eclipse" you will most likely find that it particularly applies to where the light of the sun is blocked by the moon. And under Eclipse the trusty ol' Webster's 1828 seems to specifically include the moon under eclipse, n., but also allows for my definition under eclipse v.t.:
Quote:
ECLIPSE, n. eclips'. [L. eclipsis; Gr. defect, to fail, to leave.]
1. Literally, a defect or failure; hence in astronomy, an interception or obscuration of the light of the sun, moon or other luminous body. An eclipse of the sun is caused by the intervention of the moon, which totally or partially hides the sun's disk; an eclipse of the moon is occasioned by the shadow of the earth, which falls on it and obscures it in whole or in part, but does not entirely conceal it.
2. Darkness; obscuration. We say,his glory has suffered an eclipse.
All the posterity of our first parents suffered a perpetual eclipse of spiritual life.
ECLIPSE, v.t. eclips'. To hide a luminous body in whole or in part and intercept its rays; as, to eclipse the sun or a star.
1. To obscure; to darken, by intercepting the rays of light which render luminous; as, to eclipse the moon.
2. To cloud; to darken; to obscure; as, to eclipse the glory of a hero. Hence,
3. To disgrace.
4. To extinguish.
Born to eclipse thy life.
ECLIPSE, v.i. eclips'. To suffer an eclipse.

For some reason this reminds of the silliness of at least some of the word studies you can find in modern commentaries. :lol:
Quote:
Did the word of the Lord come by or through (Heb. hāyâ) the prophet Haggai? To help us find out we may look at Soandso's scholarly work "Hebrew Participles as Used in Biblical Literature" pages 2574 through 8493. The AV uses the translation "by" which would indicate that Haggai repeated the word of the Lord to the people as he received it from the Lord, in which case Haggai would have heard and understood the word as God spoke it to him. However proper Reformed theology tells us that the word should be translated "through". Thus Haggai was most likely an insentient and passive puppet who may have been in a coma as God spoke through him to the people.
Except, if this was a real commentary excerpt it would have gone on at least a few paragraphs and used a bunch of indecipherable words. :?

Anyway be safe, don't stare at the sun without your approved and non-counterfeit eclipse glasses, or a welding helmet at least shade 12. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:17 pm 

Jeff wrote:

Did you know it is pronounced a-klaps“? Better not pronounce it e-klips.

Anyway be safe, don't stare at the sun without your approved and non-counterfeit eclipse glasses, or a welding helmet at least shade 12. :)

A-klaps sounds either British or gay...not sure which but here in Arkansas we say "Eeeeee clips".

And yes on the keeping the ole eyeballs safe. Solar Retinitis doesn't sound good to me at all :oops:.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:05 pm 

I've got to admit, it is kind of a fun trip through the twilight zone.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:10 pm 

Jeff wrote:
I've got to admit, it is kind of a fun trip through the twilight zone.

First I was worried about it being a cloudy day but it is clear....now though the moon is blocking the eclipse and I can't even see it :lol:

Yeah it is cool here too. 90% left a lot of daylight but real weird seeming daylight. I almost started hypoventilating :oops:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:49 am 

Bro. Chuck wrote:
First I was worried about it being a cloudy day but it is clear....now though the moon is blocking the eclipse and I can't even see it :lol:

:lol:

Bro. Chuck wrote:

Yeah it is cool here too. 90% left a lot of daylight but real weird seeming daylight. I almost started hypoventilating ops:
It did cool off a little here too (temperature wise, I mean :)). It was the weird light that made me think of the twilight zone.

Not far from here is where I might have gone to get firewood if the extremely high crowds hadn't scared me off. http://www.launchphotography.com/ or https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170822.html. I read they closed the road to there because it reached capacity before the eclipse. I actually got cordwood at that very spot one year when they gave me free permits to help clear the campground area.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:14 am 

Jeff wrote:

Not far from here is where I might have gone to get firewood if the extremely high crowds hadn't scared me off. http://www.launchphotography.com/ or https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170822.html. I read they closed the road to there because it reached capacity before the eclipse. I actually got cordwood at that very spot one year when they gave me free permits to help clear the campground area.

Wow that's some beautiful country there Jeff!

I did use glasses yesterday and have to admit it's one of those things you know you don't see everyday and I couldn't help but here the words "Oh Lord my God.... when I in awesome wonder... consider all... the worlds Thy hands have made..."

If the Lord tarries, we here in Arkansas will get the "totalality" of the eclipse in 2024.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:19 am 

Jeff wrote:

By the way, I guess it's thanks you to guys up there we have the Green River Ordinance. Too bad it doesn't work on the Jehovah Witness' though. :x :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:54 pm 

Bro. Chuck wrote:
Wow that's some beautiful country there Jeff!

I did use glasses yesterday and have to admit it's one of those things you know you don't see everyday and I couldn't help but here the words "Oh Lord my God.... when I in awesome wonder... consider all... the worlds Thy hands have made..."

If the Lord tarries, we here in Arkansas will get the "totalality" of the eclipse in 2024.
Thanks. If you think it's beautiful now, can you imagine what creation was like before the Fall when sin entered, and will be like in the New Heaven and earth? How Great Thou Art is one of my favorites.

Will you get to see totality from your house? If not, just hope the influx of tourists from all over the world doesn't chase you away.

Bro. Chuck wrote:
By the way, I guess it's thanks you to guys up there we have the Green River Ordinance. Too bad it doesn't work on the Jehovah Witness' though.
Yep. I learned that bit of history from Barney Fife on the Andy Griffith show. :lol: The town of Green River where the ordinance originated is a ways south. The Green River Lakes (plural) where the picture was taken is the head waters of the Green River and is north of here. While it doesn't keep JW's away, it also doesn't keep Baptists away, not that I see many of them door-knocking. :)

More trivia: The scene in the photo is also on the new license plates issued this year (minus the eclipse). Check it out next time you see a Wyoming plate. I bet you see at least several a day. :lol: The "Green River" killer has nothing to do with this Green River, just in case anyone was wondering, nor does the Creedence Clearwater Revival song.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]