Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: What is the absolute minimum requirement for salvation.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:10 pm 

Do you have to confess with your mouth like it seems to say in Romans, or do you simply have to believe? And if the latter, what exactly do you have to believe?

I am wondering because the Gospel of John is very clear in expressing that belief is the sole requirement, and I am wondering if that believe must included certain propositions, such that salvation is not by works. Is it possible that Catholics are saved by their faith in Christ, even though they are ignorant of the fact that salvation is by faith alone?

Maybe if faith in what Christ accomplished on the cross is necessary then Catholics are not saved.

What do you think?

I am not trying to start a debate or anything, just asking for a simple answer with scripture to support it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What is the absolute minimum requirement for salvation.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:33 pm 

Quote:
Do you have to confess with your mouth like it seems to say in Romans, or do you simply have to believe? And if the latter, what exactly do you have to believe?

You have to believe the Gospel.
Along with confession, Romans also calls for sincere belief; read it carefully and you will see it. Various types of vocalized 'confessions' (as in Catholic mediators or other rituals) done without belief, are worthless.

In my case, confession of sins to God was at the same time as the new birth. On the other hand, it seems to me that Biblical confession is also after belief; the direct result of belief in your heart. In other words, I wouldn't give you a plugged nickel for a man's faith if he was 'ashamed' to admit what he believed. I'm probably conflating confession with profession here, but in fact, the Bible clearly states that a person who believes shall not be ashamed:

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed." - Rom 10:9-11

Quote:
Is it possible that Catholics are saved by their faith in Christ, even though they are ignorant of the fact that salvation is by faith alone?

It is certainly possible for Catholics to trust Christ and be saved—without understanding every tiny detail of the Bible—just like it is for anyone else. However, it is not possible if they are 'ignorant' of the Gospel.

We cannot judge what Catholics or others believe in their hearts; we can only examine their doctrine against the light of scripture. People tend to get wrapped up in the details, but the Gospel message is very simple.

Even a person who is speech-impaired can nod his head and confess after he has understood the Gospel and accepted Christ; so physical speech is not required for salvation, and the unsaved can certainly call out to God in prayer in such a case.

Although baptism is not required for salvation, I see believer's water baptism as a part of this public confession/profession. In the passage below, you can see how this works; first we see the Gospel presented, followed by belief in the Gospel, and then the Biblical confession that follows...

"Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. 36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? 37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. 38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him." - Acts 8:35-38

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:09 pm 

1 John 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

I once heard a preacher once quote this verse and said we may be surprised who all is in heaven.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:29 pm 

What is the role of repentance in salvation? You have to acknowledge you're a sinner right? And when you trust in Christ, what are you trusting exactly? That He will forgive you and take you to Heaven based on what He did for you on the cross?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:40 am 

waitingforzion wrote:
What is the role of repentance in salvation? You have to acknowledge you're a sinner right?

Repentance has a critical role in salvation. I believe it is impossible to place your faith in Jesus Christ as the Savior without first changing your mind about who He is and what He has done. Before I trusted Christ, I always thought Jesus was a good man—but repentance (change of mind) about my pathetic, sinful condition and my need for salvation led me to understand I needed to accept His free gift. At its foundation, repentance is simply "changing your mind," about God and about our condition. Without that basic change of mind, I don't see how men can be saved. When we repent, we change our mind and turn to God. When Paul began preaching the gospel to men, he told them "that they should repent and turn to God"... (see Acts 26:20).

The Bible teaches us that God expects repentance, and wants every living human on earth to repent, so they can be saved:

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." - 2 Pet 3:9

waitingforzion wrote:
And when you trust in Christ, what are you trusting exactly? That He will forgive you and take you to Heaven based on what He did for you on the cross?

We are trusting in what he has done, yes. Not what we have done ourselves, or something we will do, but trusting what Jesus has already done for us.

"But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God" - Heb. 10:12

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." - Heb. 12:2

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life." - Titus 3:5-7

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:33 am 

That is a question that Nicodemus seemed to be asking Jesus. Nicodemus "believed" that Christ was sent from God, and the obvious miracles that was infallable proof He was who He said He was. Jesus answered the man very straigtfoward. Read the discourse in John 3.

John 3:1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Repentance and turning to God through His Son Jesus is the "minimum" requirement, though I did find it hard to phrase it "minimum requirement" ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]