Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Lot's Wife
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:01 pm 

Q: What were the last words that Lot spoke to his wife?

A: Hey, is somebody following us?

(1 Timothy 1:15)

“Saying that you like me, but that you do not like my religion, is like saying that you enjoy eating peaches, but that you do not care for their flavor.”

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Lot's Wife
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:04 pm 

I see you're the newbie around here. I welcome you!

Yes, there is a lot of significant meanings even behind something in Scripture you might look at as minor. I was reading through Matthew and have found a couple "significant" meanings.

I'll share them and ask your guys' thoughts:

Matthew 8:24-26

Quote:
24 And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he was asleep. 25 And his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish. 26 And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.

This verse could symbolize a "storm" that occurred in somebody's life, maybe they've backslidden and fallen into sin. The disciples' lack of faith in saying "save us, we perish," could symbolize someone who doesn't believe in eternal security, and believes they must be re-saved. Then Christ gives the reassuring words "Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?" and rebukes whatever is causing one of His sheep to stumble or sin.

What do you guys think of this? Perhaps it's another way to look at it than just "on the surface."

Also in Matthew 9:27-31:

Quote:
27 And when Jesus departed thence, two blind men followed him, crying, and saying, Thou Son of David, have mercy on us. 28 And when he was come into the house, the blind men came to him: and Jesus saith unto them, Believe ye that I am able to do this? They said unto him, Yea, Lord. 29 Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you. 30 And their eyes were opened; and Jesus straitly charged them, saying, See that no man know it. 31 But they, when they were departed, spread abroad his fame in all that country.

Those "blind men" may be truly repentant sinners that hunger and thirst for God's guidance, yet are blinded by something else, kind of similar to that guy in Scripture that said "I believe, help mine unbelief!" They were "blind," but the Lord opened their eyes. I'm not saying that it's not a literal account of blind men being healed by Christ, but what I am saying is that you can look at it symbolically also and apply it in other ways also.

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." – Ephesians 6:11

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:27 pm 

Soldier4Christ wrote:
Quote:
24 And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he was asleep. 25 And his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish. 26 And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.

This verse could symbolize a "storm" that occurred in somebody's life, maybe they've backslidden and fallen into sin. The disciples' lack of faith in saying "save us, we perish," could symbolize someone who doesn't believe in eternal security, and believes they must be re-saved. Then Christ gives the reassuring words "Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?" and rebukes whatever is causing one of His sheep to stumble or sin.

What do you guys think of this? Perhaps it's another way to look at it than just "on the surface."

I think that when it says there was a great tempest in the sea, that it means just what it says. I do not subscribe to the idea of symbolic interpretation of Scripture unless the style of writing requires it or it is stated. When Jesus says something is a parable, then I treat it as such. I treat the symbolism of the book of Revelation as such. (2 Peter 1:20) "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."

Those are my two cents.

P.S. The original post was meant to be a joke.

(1 Timothy 1:15)

“Saying that you like me, but that you do not like my religion, is like saying that you enjoy eating peaches, but that you do not care for their flavor.”

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:35 pm 

You are right, it's not of private interpretation. Thanks for your input. It's just something I thought of whenever I was going through reading though.

Like I said, I wasn't trying to say it wasn't literal that there was a storm, but it can be applied to our lives also.

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." – Ephesians 6:11

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:54 pm 

Brother Stafford wrote:
Q: What were the last words that Lot spoke to his wife?

A: Hey, is somebody following us?
:lol:

Q. Who was the first person to talk back to his parents?

A. Abel, when he said, "It just kills me the way you're raising Cain."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:46 am 

Q. Who killed Goliath?

A. According to the new versions, there is discrepancy as to who killed him; It might've been David, or Elhanan.

1 Samuel 17:51 KJV - NIV

Quote:
Therefore David ran, and stood upon the Philistine, and took his sword, and drew it out of the sheath thereof, and slew him, and cut off his head therewith. And when the Philistines saw their champion was dead, they fled.

David ran and stood over him. He took hold of the Philistine’s sword and drew it from the sheath. After he killed him, he cut off his head with the sword. When the Philistines saw that their hero was dead, they turned and ran.

2 Samuel 21:19 KJV - NIV

Quote:
And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines, where Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim, a Bethlehemite, slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.

In another battle with the Philistines at Gob, Elhanan son of Jair the Bethlehemite killed the brother of Goliath the Gittite, who had a spear with a shaft like a weaver’s rod. – NIV 2011(?)

In another battle with the Philistines at Gob, Elhanan son of Jaare-Oregimthe Bethlehemite killed Goliaththe Gittite, who had a spear with a shaft like a weaver's rod.– NIV 1984

1 Chronicles 20:5 KJV - NIV

Quote:
And there was war again with the Philistines; and Elhanan the son of Jair slew Lahmi the brother of Goliath the Gittite, whose spear staff was like a weaver's beam.

In another battle with the Philistines, Elhanan son of Jair killed Lahmi the brother of Goliath the Gittite, who had a spear with a shaft like a weaver’s rod.

REAL Answer: David killed Goliath, Elhanan killed Goliath's brother. CASE CLOSED

EDIT: WHOA! THE NIV UPDATED 2 Sam. 21:19 on Biblegateway! Now it reads correctly, in that, Elhanan killed Goliath's brother.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]