Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: The Purpose of the Local Church
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:16 pm 

The local church is to be a local body of Bible believers whose purpose is to strengthen the body of Christ as a whole, and fellowship with one-another. They are also to assemble in order to win other souls to Christ.

I think they could also do as the Salvation Army does and collect clothes to give to the poor, though I'm not sure where you'd draw the line with people who abuse that... either lazy bums who choose not to work, or people who do work and are greedy who would take advantage of that instead of letting someone else in need who could use it.

Also, we are not to have fellowsip with unbelievers, so I'm not sure how the church would go about giving sodomites, drunks, etc. free stuff either. (Maybe collect these clothes and give them to people within the church who may want or need it.)

Are there any other functions of the Local Church you can think of?

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." – Ephesians 6:11

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Purpose of the Local Church
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:29 pm 

The Purpose of the Local Church

( in no particular order )

1. Evangelize / win souls

2. Preaching of the Bible

3. Teaching of the Bible
( Sunday school "feed my sheep" Acts 20:28 )

4. Ordinances - Baptizing believers

5. Ordinances - The Lord's Supper

6. Missions - support, training
Great Commission ( Gospel starts with "GO" - Matt 28:19 )

7. Giving

8. Prayer

9. Worship

10. Ministries - Music

11. Ministries - Special needs ( deaf, seniors )

12. Ministries - Bus program, children, broken homes

13. Visitation - the elderly, sick, widows

14. Build Christian FAMILIES / homes

15. Provide Christian school vs. public schools

16. Fellowship / Exhortation ( Heb 10:25 )

Ok did I forget anything? :shock: :shock: :lol:

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." -- George Washington (Ref: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. 543)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:18 pm 

I think that pretty much covers everything. :D
IMO the church isn't suppose to be a community action center.
Charity is biblical,but i have seen too many times where a church will do community work for someone, paint there house,mow yards,pay there bills etc... and never give them the gospel.

1 Peter 1:25
But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:11 pm 

Biblebeliever wrote:
I think that pretty much covers everything. :D
IMO the church isn't suppose to be a community action center.
Charity is biblical,but i have seen too many times where a church will do community work for someone, paint there house,mow yards,pay there bills etc... and never give them the gospel.

Right, we are supposed to support people a little bit, but we aren't supposed to give out handouts necessarily. The Bible teaches that if a man doesn't work, how shall he eat?

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." – Ephesians 6:11

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:04 pm 

When I was a teenager, and still within the grip of the Catholic church in which I was raised, I used to volunteer to work in the many soup kitchens of Detroit. Obviously, because the soup kitchens were Catholic led, it was never even a consideration to share the Gospel with anyone. We would make the same meals for the same people and give out clothes to the same people, year after year, and they rarely received what was given to them with gratitude.

There was an ever present air of entitlement. I may have been wrong, but I was never aware of any of them having employment. The mantra there was to give to anyone and everyone unconditionally and without question; even though we are told:
(2 Thessalonians 3:10-11) "For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. {11} For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies."

Years later, I worked on staff at a non-denominational mini-mega church. I worked there for two years and never heard the Gospel preached once. I went on a few mission trips to South Africa where doctors on our team gave people medical help and I fitted them for eyeglasses, but we never gave them the Gospel.

At the church, we had scores of "ministries" in which employees and members could participate. Painting houses and mowing lawns in Detroit, soup kitchens, clothing drives, monetary help for struggling families; all of which are kind and helpful things to do for fellow human beings, but never a Gospel story was shared or even encouraged to be shared.

I think it is part of our fallen nature to avoid things that make us uncomfortable or afraid and to focus on less risky tasks. Even my current pastor says that he won't go more than a mile East of our church when distributing invitation fliers because the neighborhoods are "too dangerous." I, myself, know the importance of sharing the Gospel with others, but am still very uncomfortable with starting that conversation with people whom I don't know and it always seems awkward when I do it.

Something that many Christians overlook is that there are many secular and godless organizations that do a far better job at serving people and offering charity and relief than Christians do. This shows that it does not take a faith in God to be kind to fellow humans. What those organizations and activities cannot give them is a Gospel that offers them salvation and eternal life.

That is why my opinion is that if we engage in charitable activities, they should only be as a stepping stone or as an ice breaker to sharing the Gospel with them. If we feed them food and put clothes on their backs, but don't give them the Gospel, why not point them in the direction of a secular organization instead? Our focus should be on saving and edifying souls, not simply providing the needs of the flesh.

That's just my opinion.

(1 Timothy 1:15)

“Saying that you like me, but that you do not like my religion, is like saying that you enjoy eating peaches, but that you do not care for their flavor.”

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:31 am 

Perhaps the church is not to be supplying the needs of the people, physically, but spiritually.

Matthew 10:7-10, the commandment of Christ to the apostles reads:
Quote:
7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. 8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give. 9 Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses, 10 nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.

Also, in Acts 3:6, Peter obeys the command of Christ.
Quote:
Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]