Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: 501(c)(3) and Non-Church Organizations
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:41 pm 

I wanted to discuss the 501(c)(3) here with you guys. Some say that it taints churches and limits their abilities to preach, and takes away 1st Amendment rights, because it becomes government-owned property. What about organizations like ICR (Institute for Creation Research) that aren't technically churches?

They seem to have some good, Bible-based materials, and they some provide free resources. I think that standing against them would also be like standing against Christ and His truths. (Perhaps like with Christmas and Easter, though those issues are still debatable also.)

What's your opinions on the issue? Let me know your thoughts below. Thanks.

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." – Ephesians 6:11

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 501(c)(3) and Non-Church Organizations
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:16 pm 

501(c)3 is not what most people think it is. If you meet certain criteria, you qualify. No paperwork to fill out or anything.
The only limitation imposed by the IRS is that the organization cannot officially endorse any particular candidate for any election. That is about it. The government does not "own" the property if a church declares itself to be 501(c)3.
The Christian Lawyers (such as the CLA) prefer that churches declare themselves as 501(c)3 because it makes things easier for them (the lawyers.) But it is completely unnecessary. The US Government has forever viewed churches as non-taxable entities.
Personally, I don't think it is an issue, but others want to make an issue of it.

Since organizations such as ICR are not in fact churches, then they MUST declare themselves as a 501(c)3 - a non-profit, charitable institution - otherwise they get lumped in with for-profit, non-charitable corporations, and would be subject to corporate taxation.

I think we have debated this some time ago....I just don't know where to look to find it!

Psalm 119:45 And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 501(c)(3) and Non-Church Organizations
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:08 pm 

When you find it, please post a link here.

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." – Ephesians 6:11

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]