Change font size

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Cars
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:06 am 

I wanted to discuss some of the different car makes and models here in this thread. What are some of the best, reliable cars? Which cars get some of the best milage? Which ones are a balance between the two?

Another question: Ford or Chevy? :)

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." – Ephesians 6:11

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cars
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:35 pm 

I've always preferred Ford, but nothing beats my Suburban! I don't keep up with the latest on vehicles because I always by used, pay cash, and buy from individuals. As long as it has a history of reliability, I don't care!

Psalm 119:45 And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:50 pm 

I believe in paying cash too. Those are good tips. My family seems to say buying from individuals isn't safe, but dealers can be just as dishonest as anybody!

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." – Ephesians 6:11

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:33 pm 

Soldier4Christ wrote:
I believe in paying cash too. Those are good tips. My family seems to say buying from individuals isn't safe, but dealers can be just as dishonest as anybody!
That's where it's handy to have a mechanic you trust to look it over, even if you have to pay a modest fee.

Soldier4Christ wrote:
Another question: Ford or Chevy? :)

After the big GM bailout, I give the edge to Ford.

Soldier4Christ wrote:
I wanted to discuss some of the different car makes and models here in this thread. What are some of the best, reliable cars? Which cars get some of the best milage? Which ones are a balance between the two?
Not to Dodge the question, but that is probably what Consumer Reports does best. They have issues where they rate and compare the stats for pretty much all the vehicles. Though I don't know if they rate some of the things I value most, like ease of repairs and maintenance. A car that you have to remove the engine to replace an EGR valve or something is unacceptable to me. I also haven't looked to see how good they are at rating trucks recently. They used to rate everything pretty much from the viewpoint of a city dweller who would hug a tree if he could find one, and compare the handling of everything to their compact sports car they considered the standard.

I drive ancient trucks, partly because they're relatively easy to work on. I can find the engine without digging through all kinds of plastic stuff, I can replace the [-] with a [-]* to improve performance and lessen the chance of starting a brush fire, and not have the computerized control system go crazy. It's not as big a deal if I get a little scratch from a tree branch as it might be with a brand new truck. And, of course, the cost. Even though I just about need at least two trucks so that I can run to the auto parts store to get parts for the other truck, it still seems cost effective, and even new vehicles can need repairs. And I like to keep things running. (Related recommendations: You can get some good deals at RockAuto if you can afford to wait, I've also had good luck with 4wd.com for some odd Comanche parts (RockAuto doesn't necessarily have all the parts your car will ever need). Do not buy any electronic related auto parts or tools from CarQuest, though other parts from them seem okay, and I generally trust NAPA.)

Now that I've convinced myself that I drive old clunkers because I really want to; two specific engines I'm familiar with that I can recommend are the very well regarded Toyota 22R(E), though somewhat underpowered and the timing chain being a pain to replace every 180K miles or so. They also seem to generally be paired with a pretty solid drivetrain. And the AMC I6 4.0 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_straight-6_engine#4.0) which I think is just as tough. Just try to make sure it's mated to an Aisin Transmission and not the Puky tranny if you get a 5-speed manual (I don't know about the automatic transmissions, I avoid them as I always look stupid trying to remember how to drive a car without a clutch).

For a newer vehicle, I've heard a lot of good things about Dodge Cummins Diesels, especially the durability.

Whatever vehicle you get, I recommend that you get the official factory service manual(s), and get a subscription to the service bulletins if new, or make sure they're included if it's an older vehicle. I guess a lot of people have luck with the Hayne's and Chilton's, but I think the official manuals are worth the cost. You may find the older ones used or for download online. I try to find the print manuals, though I have found the digital version handy for searching, and then printing out just the pages you need, and throw them out when they get greasy, or file them if you can work on your car and not get them dirty. (Though beware some people may try to pass off a Hayne's manual as the factory service for download). Between Hayne's and Chilton, I find Haynes easier to follow, though I'm not sure why.

I'm sure none of this I wrote is going to help you. :) But maybe if you get your choice narrowed down between a Yugo or a Pinto, or whatever, people might have some more advice. (Bro Steve, and I, would both recommend the Pinto, given those choices.)

*[This modification may be, or is, illegal in some/most/all states]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:57 am 

Actually, for the type of driving I encounter; snow, ice, mud; I would want an All-Wheel-Drive, like a Subaru, if I was to get a car.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicWrite comments Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]